Dropping from d-rest temp to lagering temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crbrown25

Reaction score
I'm currently fermenting my first lager at 52 deg for a few weeks (using wyeast 2278 czech pils). Great sulfur smell, by the way. Then I'll do a d-rest for a few days at room temp. I've read/heard that the temp should be dropped from d-rest to lager temp gradually. I guess my question is...what are the benefits of dropping the temp gradually, rather than just setting the fridge at lagering temp and letting it go?

aah, i see. My primary for this batch is a plastic bucket. i figured i'd be racking into the lagering vessel (glass carboy) after d-rest & before dropping the temp. So the risk of the yeast going dormant is still an issue even after the wort is off the cake? I did not realize that. I guess i thought once the primary fermentation was done, and i racked to secondary (which would be after about 3 weeks), that the yeast was pretty much done doing its job anyway. Not the case?

aah, i see. My primary for this batch is a plastic bucket. i figured i'd be racking into the lagering vessel (glass carboy) after d-rest & before dropping the temp. So the risk of the yeast going dormant is still an issue even after the wort is off the cake? I did not realize that. I guess i thought once the primary fermentation was done, and i racked to secondary (which would be after about 3 weeks), that the yeast was pretty much done doing its job anyway. Not the case?

No, of course it's finished! After the diacetyl rest, rack and go ahead and drop the temp. It's fine.

Dropping the temp slowly to lagering temps is a tradition and tradition says that more polyphenols should drop out of suspension that way, plus that the yeast are still working. Current thinking is that the fermentation is done, and since the purpose of lagering is to reduce polyphenols and encourage clarity, that dropping the temperature fast is fine. Either way works just fine, in my experience.

No, of course it's finished! After the diacetyl rest, rack and go ahead and drop the temp. It's fine.

Dropping the temp slowly to lagering temps is a tradition and tradition says that more polyphenols should drop out of suspension that way, plus that the yeast are still working. Current thinking is that the fermentation is done, and since the purpose of lagering is to reduce polyphenols and encourage clarity, that dropping the temperature fast is fine. Either way works just fine, in my experience.

+1
I may be wrong but droping the temp slow will help prevent suck-back. I lager in a keg and have not had any problem. I move from d-rest at room temp back to the garage and let it cool and settle for two days and then move to keg and lager.

Good info...thanks guys and gal. While i'm at it...what do you all recommend for time & temp of the lagering phase?

crbrown25 said:
Good info...thanks guys and gal. While i'm at it...what do you all recommend for time & temp of the lagering phase?

For an average lager say an OG of 1.050 I lager 5-6 weeks at 31°F.

Cool thanks. Is there a benefit to lagering below freezing? I never considered going that low.

Back