Fermentis S-189 Lager yeast where to buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwitt

Reaction score
I have been reading lots of good things about this yeast but can't find it anywhere.

I found some posts that said it was available only in 500g bricks and morebeer could get it. I emailed morebeer and they said they no longer carried it.

If anyone else is interested in getting some and knows where we can get it maybe we could get a group buy going.:ban:

Update:

I made a 500ml starter rehydrated 1 12g pack, pitched it in the starter wort, placed it on the stirplate and it took off like a rocket. In about 2 hours I could see krausen foam.

24 hours later there were no signs of fermentation so I made 1500ml of starter wort added it to the flask and placed back on the stirplate. Again within 2 hours krausen started to form.

24 hours later the starter had finished and I had about 1" yeast layer on the bottom of the flask. I placed the starter in the fridge to cold crash and tomorrow I will decant the spent wort and take some samples for freezing and pitch the rest in tomorrows batch.:)

Someone please help out this Canadian brewer.
I want to try Saflager S-189 yeast but the only American Supply house that I can find will charge me $20 to send a little packet!!

Does anyone A)know any reasonable suppliers. B)know any Canadian suppliers who stock this. C)have some dry yeast that they would be willing to send along to me in the mail (I'll paypal you postage)

Cheers.

Just bought a package yesterday...planning to pitch in a Prima Pils type pilsner.

BeeGee (on Walker's laptop)

Someone please help out this Canadian brewer.
I want to try Saflager S-189 yeast but the only American Supply house that I can find will charge me $20 to send a little packet!!

Does anyone A)know any reasonable suppliers. B)know any Canadian suppliers who stock this. C)have some dry yeast that they would be willing to send along to me in the mail (I'll paypal you postage)

Cheers.

Do yourself a favour and use W34/70. You'll never notice any real difference, and the cost savings would be significant.
I just got through using a brick I bought before Paddock Wood gave up doing sales to homebrewers, and after using W34/70 find no difference at all. Both make good lagers at lager fermenting temps.

Back