Yeast immobilization: magic beans of fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MalFet

/bɪər nɜrd/
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yeast immobilization is the weirdest brewing technology I've ever stumbled upon. The idea is to suspend living yeast cells in a semi-permeable solid, producing "beads" with the mystical ability to turn wort into beer. The advantages are obvious: if you start with a few hundred macroscopic spheres rather than a few hundred billion microscopic cells, separating your yeast from your beer becomes very simple. No fermentor goop, no clearing time, no sludge in your finished beer. When you're done, just scoop the beads out, rinse them off, and chuck them in the fridge till next time.

The downsides are also obvious, or at least they seem to be. Immobilized yeast don't actually reproduce. The conventional wisdom would suggest that this should have a significant impact on beer flavor, particularly in yeast-driven styles. Frankly, my hunch is that this is true, and I mostly expect that this experiment will produce sub-par beer. In other words, I anticipate that this will be my one and only attempt at yeast immobilization. But, it's a neat idea, so I thought I'd give it a go.

There are many different viable approaches here, but I'm using sodium alginate. Sodium alginate is an edible salt derived from seaweed. It produces a gooey slime when mixed with water, but that slime turns into a rubbery solid in the presence of calcium. The process is simple and the materials are cheap. Below is the recipe for 100 billion immobilized cells. Scale appropriately to your needs:

Ingredients
* 75 mL of slurry containing 100 billion healthy yeast cells.
* 75 mL of 4% sodium alginate solution (3g sodium alginate)
* 500mL of 1.5% calcium chloride solution (7.5g calcium chloride)
* distilled water (truth be told, I just used tap water and it worked fine, but if your tap water has high mineral content you might consider distilled.)

All of this stuff is cheap. Most people treating their water should already have calcium chloride, and most homebrew shops will sell you more than you ever need for a few bucks. Sodium alginate is a bit more expensive, but $15 of it will last you until the end of time. Amazon sells it in fancy packages for use in "molecular gastronomy" (which is what happens when you let nerds cook).

Steps (see pictures below):
1) Mix the sodium alginate solution well; this takes work. It should be homogenous and similar in appearance to the ectoplasm from Ghostbusters when you're done.
2) Stir in the yeast slurry and homogenize once again.
3) Using a syringe or pipet, drip the horrible goop you have created into your calcium chloride solution, one drop at a time.
4) Let stand for 10-15 minutes to make sure the beads have time to solidify all the way through, then strain them out! Easy as strudel.

1-59393.jpg

2-59394.jpg

3-59395.jpg

-----------------------------

I can confirm that the magic yeast beans work, but I can't yet comment on how the beer tastes. I brewed up two small batches and am currently fermenting them side-by-side. I'll post results as I get them in the next post.

FAQ
Q: Do you know what that stuff looks like?
A: Yes, I know what that stuff looks like.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright! Simple experiment here. I brewed up a batch of very basic wort: enough Briess light DME to hit 1.042 (I targeted 1.040, but close enough) and a calculated 15 IBUs worth of galena at 60 minutes. One quart went into each of two large mason jars. I'm using S-04 because it's familiar to most people and also forward enough make yeast character important. Depending on how this experiment goes, I'll consider repeating with a estery belgian something.

Control batch:
* Rehydrated dry yeast
* Pitch rate: conventional (.75 million per mL per degree Plato)
* Approximate cell count: 7.5 billion cells

Experimental batch:
* Magic beans
* Pitch rate: estimated final cell count after a normal pitch (based on Chris White's growth chart)
* Approximate cell count: 35 billion cells

The worts are fermenting side by side at a temperature of 67ºF. In order to keep things between the two relatively constant, the jars are sitting together in a tub of water. I'll check throughout to make sure that I'm not getting significant temperature differences. Otherwise, it's just wait and see now! I pitched both yeasts side-by-side shortly before midnight last night (12 April), and when I woke up there seemed to be some activity from the experimental but not the control. Right now (1pm), both seem to be active. This is about the only time I've ever wished that I used airlocks! I'll take a gravity reading tonight to see how it's going, and I'll keep the thread updated as I go.

Last night (12 April, midnight):
4-59396.jpg

Today (13 April, 1pm):
5-59397.jpg

Woohoo! Looking forward to hearing the results. Perhaps, instead of waiting to the conclusion of your experiment, you can post intermittently and let us know how it's going.

Please do a control fermentation at the same time if you can.

so if they're not reproducing wouldn't you need more than 100 billion cells to ferment a normal 5 gallon batch?

Mal you said the magic beans thread that inspired this was the weirdest thread on hbt. By default the homemade kitchen ectoplasm must be the weirdest thread on hbt.

Either way it is a pretty interesting experiment. Very curious to see the results.

A lot of bartenders who are making large volumes of cointreau caviar in busy bars are using something like a salt or spice shaker to drop their liquid in.

You can also splurge and buy a multiple pipetter.

multichannel-pipette-1b.jpg

They have them in all different configurations.

You can also put multiple out ports on you plastic syringe, with small plumbing air line parts from an aquarium supply store...Like little manifolds.

XL.G2119.jpg

Thanks for the interest folks! I've updated the second post to describe the side-by-side, and I'll keep things updated as I go.

Woohoo! Looking forward to hearing the results. Perhaps, instead of waiting to the conclusion of your experiment, you can post intermittently and let us know how it's going.

Please do a control fermentation at the same time if you can.

Done and done. You know how much I like control (variables).

so if they're not reproducing wouldn't you need more than 100 billion cells to ferment a normal 5 gallon batch?

Definitely. I wrote the recipe for 100B cells because that's an easy number to scale. I really have no idea what a "proper" pitching rate for this kind of thing would be, but this time around I assumed it should be roughly near final cell count in a normal beer fermentation.

I am assuming sanitation is still an issue here... It would suck to make a batch that had a lacto infection. But, if you did, would the lactobacillus also not reproduce, the same as the yeast? I wonder if you could mix in a set amount of lacto or brett and end up with just the right amount of sour flavors. Also, Ill bet you could mix up two different yeasts and get consistent results, without one yeast eventually taking over.

Is that a mini yeast cake forming in the magic beans mason jar pictured 1 pm April 13?

No, it's just break material. Because of the way the jar's shaped, the picture makes it look like there's a lot more than there actually is. Even still, I wish I had been able to better separate it. I don't have the equipment to properly chill and siphon small batches like this.

I put some leftover beads in a jar with sugar water. That one's perfectly clean, so I should be able to see what if anything drops out from the beads there.

This is freaking AWESOME! Your magic beans look VERY similar to the pics the homebrewers posted on the Mupor thread....
Eagerly awaiting results. And I love the idea of containing a fixed ratio of different yeasts and/or bugs to control flavor profiles. Epic experiment!

HBT definitely elicits more "that's ingenious" comments from me than any other forum I frequent, and it's because of threads like this. Even though it is unlikely I will ever make my own yeast balls, I am definitely interested in seeing how this turns out.

It just occurred to that it would be interesting to see if the yeast attempt to bud at all, even though they are "embalmed" in a gelatinous goo.

So wait, if the yeast can't reproduce in these things, won't you just end up with dead yeast cells in a ball of goo? Or are their reproduction rates just hindered? Or have you made immortal yeast cells???

So wait, if the yeast can't reproduce in these things, won't you just end up with dead yeast cells in a ball of goo? Or are their reproduction rates just hindered? Or have you made immortal yeast cells???

The yeast will definitely die at some point. Whether that happens after many batches or just a few, however, is still a very open question. But, properly handled, yeast can stay alive for quite some time. The fact that they're not reproducing actually means they'll stay healthy a lot longer.

Back