Critique my wit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prsman

Reaction score
Belleville, just across the river from St. Louis
Thinking about brewing this up tomorrow. Would like to have a bit of feedback if anyone would be so kind. Never tried to come up with my own recipe, so here goes nothing.

1 pound of white wheat
1 pound of oats
4.5 pils 2-row
3.5 wheat

1/2 oz coriander ground fine
zest from 3 oranges, and 1 lemon
1/2oz chamomile
1oz. cascade
1oz lactic acid

148 degrees for 60 minutes
1/2oz. cascade 90 minutes
1/2oz. cascade 60 minutes
zest last 5 minutes
Chamomile @ flameout

Mash @ 148 for 60 minutes

I assume by wheat, you mean wheat malt?

I suppose I'm a bit more of a traditionalist, but I prefer using flaked wheat instead of wheat malt in a Witbier, I prefer the character, but that's a personal opinion.

I'd probably use a more earthy european hop instead of Cascade, and use a little less oats (that's a fairly high percenage of your grist from my experience, I usually use closer to .5 Lbs).

Honestly though, that's all personal opinion stuff, I think your recipe looks fine. If you do end up using more unmalted wheat instead of malt, I'd reccomend a protease rest, but people do have good luck without as well.

-D

Isn't white wheat the same thing as flaked wheat? If not, you should definitely put some flaked wheat in, but I thinkt he wheat malt should stay as well.

Might want to get away from the cascade, that will make this more of an american beer than a true wit beer. Maybe use some hallertauer? Styrian? Not sure what the norm is for wit as far as hops go.

Cool thanks for the recommendations guys. I went ahead and used white wheat instead of the wheat malt. And dropped the oats down a good amount. It's a little over half a pound. As far as the hops go, I've got the cascade on hand which is why I was thinking about using them. I was listening to the jamil show last night, and those hops were mentioned as a kind of experimentation, but @ 1.50 i might throw down for some other hops. Really not sure yet. Probably a good thing my brew day got pushed back until tuesday. It gives me a little time to ponder what hops i really would like to use.

White wheat and flaked wheat are indeed different. White wheat is the stylistically correct base grain. Flaked wheat should be used as an adjunct, converts easily, and should add some head retention.

I don't think that you need to fine ground the corriander. I just cracked mine (a pulse or two in a spice mill) and it turned out great. I've also heard of people using a pepper mill set at the coarsest grind.

Yuri_Rage said:
White wheat and flaked wheat are indeed different. White wheat is the stylistically correct base grain. Flaked wheat should be used as an adjunct, converts easily, and should add some head retention.

I actually changed from using white wheat (I don't have a mill, and it needs to be cracked finer than barley) to flaked wheat and noticed almost no change in the end product other than efficiency.

(This was using nearly 50% flaked wheat)

I think you're much better off using flaked wheat over white wheat unless you have a mill that you can control the gap on. Its certainly a good deal closer to style than using wheat malt.

YMMV, of course. =)

-D

adx said:
I don't think that you need to fine ground the corriander. I just cracked mine (a pulse or two in a spice mill) and it turned out great. I've also heard of people using a pepper mill set at the coarsest grind.

I use one of those little cuisinart mini-prep food processors. I highly reccomend it if you're using whole spices in brewing.

A pepper mill would work, but you can't clean them as well, so you're bound to mix flavors sooner or later.

-D

Coriander is pretty strong. I just put it in a ziploc bag and roll over it with a rolling pin a few times...and it imparts alot of flavor.

I'd use dried bitter orange peel instead of fresh zest, also. Never thought about chamomile, but hey, why not?

My climbing partner (who got me into brewing) swears by Grains of Paradise in his Witbiers. There's lots of cool other spices that can be used to interest effect in a Wit. Its a good beer to play with. =)

-D

Llarian said:
I use one of those little cuisinart mini-prep food processors. I highly reccomend it if you're using whole spices in brewing.
I use that same thing. A pulse or two and it's good to go. I think it cleans up easier then using a coffee grinder as a spice mill.

Cheesefood said:
Anyone tried running corainder through their mill?

I couldn't crush my coriander with a bowl and a rock (Don't laugh, I just moved and don't have my pepper or coffee grinder anymore). So I used my corona mill to crush a mixture of black peppercorns and coriander. Worked like a charm.

Latest posts

Back