Hoppy Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lazyhophead

Reaction score
Hello guys.

I am brand new to brewing, jumped right in head first to AG and I have my first batch almost ready to rack into secondary. It's a basic IPA (I hope).

For my next batch I would like to do a stout style beer but with a nice hop kick to it. I can't help it, I'm a hop head. I was born this way!

Any suggestions on recipes or which hops to use before I screw it up? I'd like it to be almost a stout meets pale ale/IPA.

Thanks.

Here is mine, it's freeing wonderful IMHO

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: US-05
Yeast Starter: nope
Batch Size (Gallons): 6
Original Gravity: 1.070
Final Gravity: 1.009
IBU: 92
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Color: 29
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 83 days, 67 f
Tasting Notes: In between a stout and a so called black IPA - hoppy and fantastic

9 lbs Pilsner
2 lbs flaked barley
12 oz black barley
1/2 lb white wheat
4 Oz Carafa Special II
4 Oz Oat malt
2 lbs DME
1 lb cane sugar

Mashed 149 f

1 oz Summit 60 mins
3/4 oz summit 20 mins
1 1/2 oz Northern Brewer 10 mins
1 1/2 Chinook 5 mins

dry hopped with 2 1/2 Northern Brewer 7 days + 2 Oz Citra in the keg

. This is a fantastic black ale, hoppy and slightly roasty and at 8% ABV is smooth and probably the best beer I have ever tasted. I fermented this last version a long time since I was out of the country for several months. The yeast was actually the cake off a lower gravity beer, I just racked on top of it. Despite sitting on the yeast almost three months this turned out fine, brilliant even! Oh the DME substituted the equvalent Pilsner malt which I ran out of. I think it may even have benefited from this... Next time I brew it I won't change a thing.

Back