Best online ingredient source?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zonabb

Reaction score
My LHBS is very expensive and buying from them really makes no sense when buying a larger order. I think I can save money on a larger online order even with shipping.

I've seen the usual suspects.. Williams, Northern, etc. Anyone have a smaller LHBS online that has decent prices. My LHBS, for example, has 3lbs od DME for about $12, which is a dollar more than Williams.

I'm not being cheap but if the intent of the homebrewer is to brew great beer at a reduced rate, why let the popularity of this craft allow people to gouge you for ingrediants?

try austinhomebrew.com they have good prices and the shipping for $5.99 you can't beat. Plus they are pretty quick to ship an order.

I use Northern Brewer all the time; shipping rates are fair, base prices are fair, service has been great. Williams has always struck me as VERY expensive, and I've heard lots of bad things about morebeer's customer service (takes a while for orders to be processed and there tend to be a lot of errors). Austin and NB seem to be among the best, and I've heard good things about MidWest as well.

I've used midwest and morebeer. Morebeer takes a week from when I order it to when I get it. It's quick enough for me as long as I plan my brewdays ahead of time, plus shipping's free on orders over $60.

I also see a lot of positive things about Austin homebrew and northern brewer on the forums, so you should be fine with any of those.

MoreBeer roxxors. i live near them, but don't usually drive out there, just order. They've always shipped out the same day i order and it gets to me the next day.

Yeah, Austin HB, Northern Brewer, morebeer.com (it bothers me that morebeer doesn't sell wyeast, though, and it seems like they have a poor selection of dry yeasts too) have all been good to me. I've never ordered from Williams, but I agree with Bird that most of their stuff seems overpriced. If you are going to order liquid yeast you might want to order from whichever is closer to you.

I do understand wanting to save a few dollars, but if we all do that, the convenience of actually having a LHBS might go away. Just imagine if you ever forgot, lost, or broke something in the middle of a brew session and couldn't just run down and get a new airlock, siphon tube, yeast packet, or whatever.

That is the only reason I support the LHBS, because yes, they are consistently a few dollars higher than the internet prices.

Just my $.02

:mug:

I usually order from The Grape and Granary. There prices are usually close to the other online stores and because they are within 60 miles of myself shipping is very quick. Standard shipping will usually get me ingredients in 1-2 days.
I also frequent my LHBS but I usually only buy small home brewing ingredients there and pick up a few different beers to try (my LHBS is also a beer store with an awesome selection).
Craig

I have been using ebrew.com. They seem to have good prices, and the shipping is real quick.

Thanks. I'm going to place and order today and check these sources!

Brew on!!!!!!!

I alternate between Northern Brewer and Midwest, both are out of Minneapolis so I get quick shipping to Iowa (and if you're inclined to think about things like this: minimizes carbon footprint). This translates into less worry about yeast problems for me. I am wary about getting stuff from MoreBeer and AHS just because they have to travel across some serious climate extremes to get to me, but I'm also moderately paranoid. My LHBS doesn't carry much, some DME, a few grains, and the most popular hops. I've bought from AHS before because of their huge selection of kits, but since I don't like brewing with LME, I've move away from kits. Otherwise, AHS answered my questions when I called them asking about yeast shipping in the middle of August from there to Iowa, and assured me they'd replace dead yeasties.

Alternative Beverage at ebrew.com is great. Ive been using them recently. They have monthly specials wich are great on the wallet. :)

I'd like to have a LHBS to support even if their prices were a little high. Thankfully I've gotten great service from several online sources, Homebrew.com in Charlotte gets my order out quick and it arrives overnight once processed. At 100 miles from my door they are actually my LHBS. I've also been pleased with Northern Brewer and MoreBeer. I've found that even shopping online closer to home is better, especially when weight or freshness of product can be an issue.

Back