E-HERMS Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Begin2Brew

Searching for the perfect beer one at a time
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well I have pulled the trigger and started ordering parts to build my E-HERMS. I am building the same basic system as The Electric Brewery but will be building it on my own.

Today I ordered:
Heating elements: Amazon - $55.91
Parts for elements: McMaster-Carr - $167.56

I'll try and document this as best I can

I am going to try and use a much of my existing equipment as I can. Here is what I have to start with.

IMG_1151.jpg

IMG_1152.jpg

Ran and to Home Depot for the rest of the parts needed to build the two elements. Cost was $43.51

Second picture is my breaker box. We recently sold our hot tub so I have the bottom left breaker for the brew system. I plan on replacing that breaker with a GFCI so I have the protection way back at the main breaker.

IMG_1153.jpg

IMG_1154.jpg

We recently sold our hot tub

I just got a hot tub when I bought my house a year and a half ago. I freaking love that thing. I thought it would get old, but nothing like a tough day finished by a beer and a soak in the hot tub. Why'd you dump it? Just not using it enough?

I just got a hot tub when I bought my house a year and a half ago. I freaking love that thing. I thought it would get old, but nothing like a tough day finished by a beer and a soak in the hot tub. Why'd you dump it? Just not using it enough?

God, that sounds soo awesome right now! We're moving soon (hopefully) and I fully intend to have a hot tub somewhere in the house!

Subscribed! I'm at EXACTLY the same place as you are, I think. I have what looks like the same equipment, and I'm going electric as well. I even have a spa panel that's no longer used, with a 50 amp breaker in the main.

But I think I'm going Brewtroller to control it. So post lots of pics for what you do, 'cause I'm going to follow right behind you. :D

MultumInParvo said:

We had it for 6 years and used the heck out of it the first 4 years. The last couple of years I spent more time fixing it then sitting in it. We also have a whirlpool tub inside so we use that now.

Wife wanted the paint that can be used as a chalkboard so took advantage of that. Here is what I need for the outlet connection. I have the conduit already so all I needed was the plug, receptacle and GFCI breaker. Friggin breaker is expensive at $75, but for the piece of mind and safety factor I am all in.

Total cost on this trip: $102.65

IMG_1155.jpg

Subscribed.

I'm in the process of building a clone of Kal's electric brewery too. However, I have started with the control panel. I'm taking pictures and will post a thread too when I get a ways into it.

Can't wait to see how yours turns out.

Scott

Subscribed.

I'm in the process of building a clone of Kal's electric brewery too. However, I have started with the control panel. I'm taking pictures and will post a thread too when I get a ways into it.

Can't wait to see how yours turns out.

Scott

That's awesome, You're coming at it from the opposite direction. Should be interesting to see how we both progress. Eventually I will have the complete system as well but with optical sensors for fluid levels and flow meters to check volume and GPM.

I like the idea of optical sensors for fluid levels. How are you going to do that?

My company uses an optical sensor in our equipment that uses light refraction to tell if the sensor is submerged or not. If the sensor is out of the fluid it sends a 12vdc signal out. I can use that signal as a safety incase my HLT runs dry.

Sounds good. Are these sensors available for purchase and if so are they affordable.

Begin2Brew said:
Wife wanted the paint that can be used as a chalkboard so took advantage of that. Here is what I need for the outlet connection. I have the conduit already so all I needed was the plug, receptacle and GFCI breaker. Friggin breaker is expensive at $75, but for the piece of mind and safety factor I am all in.

Total cost on this trip: $102.65

Not to rain on your parade, but this is a cutler hammer breaker. The photo you posted earlier was a Square D QO load center. Those breakers are not interchangeable.

TrainSafe said:
Not to rain on your parade, but this is a cutler hammer breaker. The photo you posted earlier was a Square D QO load center. Those breakers are not interchangeable.

You saying the one I bought won't fit in the breaker box I have? If so what is different?

No, they are not interchangeable. It won't fit, and is not UL listed for use in that panel. You are looking for a breaker manufactured by the same company as the panel. In your case, look for a Square D QO250GFI.

I just went over the the Home Depot website to copy a link for you, and it looks like they don't carry the Square D breakers in the GFCI model. I suggest Menards or Grainger.

TrainSafe said:
No, they are not interchangeable. It won't fit, and is not UL listed for use in that panel. You are looking for a breaker manufactured by the same company as the panel. In your case, look for a Square D QO250GFI.

I just went over the the Home Depot website to copy a link for you, and it looks like they don't carry the Square D breakers in the GFCI model. I suggest Menards or Grainger.

Hey thanks. I did some searching and see what you are talking about. I found one at fleet farm. Thanks again.

No problem. I can't wait to see this project up & boiling.

I plan on building a very similar rig as soon as the funds allow. I like that you are posting your expenses along the way.

Good luck.

Subscribed! I am also building a Kal clone HERMS system. Have about 1/2 of my part so far. I just need the rest of my ss fittings and I can start my keg conversions. Good luck! I'll be keeping and eye on this one! :mug:

Thanks to Trainsafe I now have the correct GFCI breaker.

so:

wrong breaker returned for -$80.20
purchase correct one $124.95

Hoping my elements come in the USPS but doesnt look good.

A few other updates:

I have been prowling eBay for the greenlee chassis punches and managed to grab the 1 1/4 so once that arrives I can actually build something. I also think I'll build a rolling cart that will contain all my equipment. This way I can roll it out for brew days and roll it away afterwards. I also need to plan out a wash sink as well. I figured I could use one of those above ground sump pits for laundry tubs, run the plumbing up and let gravity take over.

Ran out and used some rebate checks from Menards and pick up some wire. Purchased enough wire in assorted colors to wire the control panel up. Cost for wire $75.19.

Total cost so far is: $489.57

This gets both heating elements built and my 240/120 receptacle/plug.

I think I have a plan on where to put my 240/120 receptacle. In the pictures below the conduit was used for my old hot tub, which runs on the ceiling. I plan on tapping into that and run a vertical drop between the two wire racks. I can place the outlet at whatever height I find comfortable. The stand will be on casters so I will wheel it out, plug it in and get brewing. I also have a window there I can run my ventilation to.

ForumRunner_20111119_120559.jpg

ForumRunner_20111119_120610.jpg

ForumRunner_20111119_120621.jpg

ForumRunner_20111119_120630.jpg

Last night I started putting the elements together. Used a greenlee punch to put the holes in the covers and a holesaw for the box. Had to figure out how to put the hole in the box without a drill press. My solution was to use a jig to hold the holesaw in position.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Home Brew Talk

ForumRunner_20111124_062451.jpg

ForumRunner_20111124_062501.jpg

ForumRunner_20111124_062509.jpg

Painted the element boxes and made the element cables. I am not sure I like the plugs. They have a cord grip that is two pieces that gets screwed together. The problem is the clamps don't have a large enough hole for the 10/3 cable so it pinches the cable. The surface area is large enough but I think there are better ones out there.

ForumRunner_20111124_090946.jpg

ForumRunner_20111124_090954.jpg

Went to put in the GFCI breaker today and found out there are more than one type of square D breakers. I bought the QO and I need the Homeline. So I'll have to return that one and get the correct one. Good thing I am not in a big hurry.....

stevehaun said:
Check ebay - if you are not in a big hurry, you can save some significant $$.
I got my homeline SquareD 50 amp GFI for less than $50.

Ya, tried that and found nothing. Got one on order for $94. Not so bad.

subbed! Also working on my electric brew room, but currently am focusing on everything but electrical atm :)

Painted the element boxes and made the element cables. I am not sure I like the plugs. They have a cord grip that is two pieces that gets screwed together. The problem is the clamps don't have a large enough hole for the 10/3 cable so it pinches the cable. The surface area is large enough but I think there are better ones out there.

I have the same plugs...

Wonder if there is a way we can "shave out" a bigger hole for the wire in the grips.

Back