Please Critique: Honey Wheat - Honey Blossom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DGibb

Reaction score
Honey Blossom
Honey Wheat
Extract + Specialty Grains
5 gallons
OG: 1.068
FG: 1.018
IBU: 29
SRM: 9
ABV: 6.7%

Fermentables
3 lb 5 oz Wheat DME
3 lb 5 oz Wheat DME (Late addition)
1 lb Orange Blossom Honey (Late addition)
8 oz Honey Malt

Hops
0.75 oz Mt. Hood (bittering - boil 60)
0.75 oz Mt. Hood (bittering - boil 20)
1 oz Centennial (aroma - boil 1 min)

Yeast
Safale US-05 Dry Yeast

Misc
zest of 2 oranges (boil 15)

My typical boil is a 3 gallon stovetop boil, but I am going to move up to a full boil soon. Hopville calculated the IBUs based on a 3 gallon boil.

This is the one of the first recipes I have written, and I would love some feedback. I was initially looking for a session honey wheat with a touch of citrus, but this is coming out as 6.7% ABV. How can I tone the alcohol level down? I do plan on having the honey/wheat/orange combination for a spring and summer ale on tap. What do you think?

I look forward to your suggestions!

Thanks.

Did you ever brew this? Did it turn out?

I think it looks tasty. If you wanted to cut back the ABV, I'd leave out a pound of extract

The honey malt if I'm not mistaken needs to be converted so it needs to be mashed with a base malt that has enough enzymes to convert itself and malt that has been kilned at too high a temp (honey malt) to have any enzymes left. You'll want at least a pound of two row or six row malted barley to do a mini mash with the honey malt if you want to use it- in my opinion its got more of a toast flavor than honey

Did you ever brew this? Did it turn out?

I think it looks tasty. If you wanted to cut back the ABV, I'd leave out a pound of extract

I have yet to get around to this recipe. I had been out of work for about 9 months and funds got tight. Now that I am gainfully employed again, I have been brewing more often. I have made a Wit (called Powder Glade) which turned out beautifully, and a Dead Simple Hefeweizen that is keg-conditioning right now. Honey has been deemed too expensive right now, but I am going to try this soon for a late-summer consumption time.

I am going to cut down the ABV and try to clean it up as best I can with a little more brewing experience.

Thanks for the suggestion!

The honey malt if I'm not mistaken needs to be converted so it needs to be mashed with a base malt that has enough enzymes to convert itself and malt that has been kilned at too high a temp (honey malt) to have any enzymes left.

I've heard conflicting opinions on this. But I've come to understand that it has the enymatic content to self convert. However, it doesn't really need to convert. The heat from the kilning has already converted many (if not most) of the starches to sugars. I've partial mashed the honey malt and gotten full conversion. I've also just steeped it for 30 min with a few other grains and I still hit my target gravity.

Back