Just had a bottle bomb go off...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slamback

Reaction score
fortunately it was inside a cooler & minimized the mess. However, my question is: will storing the bottles at a lower temp minimize the chance of explosion? They've been in bottles for 10 days. I had an issue with the gravity not getting low enough, but it was constant for over a week so I went ahead & bottled. Hoping for the best. Should I move them to a cooler than room temp place? Thanks!

Do keep them cold. But carry gently.

What was the OG and FG when you bottled?

OG: 1.066 FG: 1.028, but like I said, it was at 1.028 for a week, even after I added a pack of Nottingham yeast. This batch might be bust (literally)

The other thing that might be a problem is I primed with brown sugar, which I read uses the same proportion as white sugar... but maybe I screwed that up, too. I'm drinking one right now & it tastes great!

I had the same problem when I primed with brown sugar, put a bag of ice in the cooler and keep them chilled for a few days and let them go, or chill then refrigerate.
I lost 11 out of a batch of Heffe, The GF, The Dog and the bird were all very nervous for a day or so.

Well, update... I got freaked out & recapped all the bottles. Waited a week, now it's like flat ridiculous gross stout. I guess I screwed up. The plan is to wait about a month to crack into the next. Perhaps they will have carbed up by then... Oh well...

Back