Cause for concern???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScarySouthernMan

Reaction score
I'm 5 days into primary on a Bavarian Weiss. My OG was at the low side of the style 1.044. I'm sitting at 1.020 and need to be at 1.014. The fermentation has slowed dramatically after the yeast went absolutely nuts for three days.

Do I need to be worried?

Sunday night is one week.

If I were to rack into secondary before the target FG is reached, will it continue to ferment out if I rack some of the yeast head into the secondary?

Thanks,

- Scary

Extract... Sorry should have mentioned that.

So Revvy,

Should I not worry about racking to secondary at the recommended 7 day mark?

Thanks a ton guys,

- Scary

I wouldn't worry about racking to secondary. It's not a big deal with small batches. The only time I do it is when I intend to let the beer sit in the secondary for several weeks.

There's really no need to secondary unless you need to free up the carboy it's in for your next beer. Just let it be until it's done. If you are set on secondary, then it is OK to do that after more than seven days. Too long in fermenters is rarely a problem.

Extract... Sorry should have mentioned that.

So Revvy,

Should I not worry about racking to secondary at the recommended 7 day mark?

Thanks a ton guys,

- Scary

Obviosuly that's waay too soon, if at 5 days you are still fermenting. That's one of those bad kit directions. Or the stupid 1-2-3 rule that doesn't factor in slow fermentations like you are having or the often normal 72 hour lag time that yeast often exhibit before even beginning to krausen.

If you chose to secondary, wait til you are at your fg for 2 readings over 3 days, I don't even begin to take my first of the two readings til around day 12...or 10 at the earliest.

But if you read the 20 bazillion threads on secondary, you will see many of us forgoe secondary all together and opt instead for a month long primary. Many of us have found that our beers have improved when we started leaving the yeast alone to do the work...and clean up all the byproducts of fermentations.

We don't have to re-invent the wheel re-discussing it here, just look for the other threads, and you will get all the info on it you need.

Back