Watlow Temperature Controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

storunner13

Reaction score
I have an opportunity to buy a Watlow Temp. Controller on the cheap. How can I rig this to work with a fridge, or other AC device? Anyone use one of these?

I use an older Love controller on my beer freezer with an external thermocouple. Can't tell you anything about your Watlow except that they are an industry standard. You should be able to program it for heating or cooling, set a temperature and let it go. I set my Love up by having it turn an electrical outlet on and off, and plugged the freezer into that outlet. This way it can be reused as a freezer when you upgrade to a bigger one.

Make sure the relay or SSR in the Watlow can handle the amperage of the freezer before you wire it up. If not, you will need to add a larger relay into the system.

The manual I found online was pretty confusing. Should there be an easy way to wire the Watlow to a SSR and then to the AC outlet?

what is the complete model number of the watlow control? it will be on a label stuck to the unit with a barcode and will look something like this:

93aa1cd000rg151085

or:

93aa-1cd0-00rg

it's important, as watlow controllers have several different outputs and some are useless to us...

The manual I found online was pretty confusing. Should there be an easy way to wire the Watlow to a SSR and then to the AC outlet?

watlow's manuals are written for engineers, so they do tend to get very technical when it comes to simple things... but compared to others, they probably have the best product documentation in the industry.

the worst documentation i've ever seen has to be from omron.. great products, but their docs are written in japanese by japanese engineers and then translated into english..

i wouldn't waste a 988/989 on a fridge...

but, it could be done. need the complete model # though..........

not to highjack but i just bought a watlow sd3c-hcka-aarg controller, what about it, I found some specs but not the installation manual yet

not to highjack but i just bought a watlow sd3c-hcka-aarg controller, what about it, I found some specs but not the installation manual yet

you controller is a 1/32din size standard-software PID, 120vac power, dual outputs. output #1 is a dc SSR drive signal, output #2 is an internal 1/2 amp SSR. process display is red, setpoint display is green. sweet unit.

you could use this for just about anything. it's comparable to the common auber pid that most people here are using.

the link to the manual is here: http://www.watlow.com/downloads/en/manuals/sd%20rev%20f%205-31-06.pdf

Latest posts

Back