Help me hit my mark..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fretsforlife

Reaction score
hey guys, first AG batch here, and I want to hit my temperature right the first time. I bought BeerTools last night, but it seems i have to learn about it a littler better before i can do it myself.

Anyway, if my cooler is a 50qt, and my total grist is 13.32 lbs @ 72º
., what would my strike temp be? I know I'd want it slightly higher so that I can preheat my mash tun.

I'm guessing maybe 167º-170º ?

Thanks, and any additional tips are appreciated!!

You need to supply us with your water/grist ratio before we can help you on this one, but I use this calculator and it works every time:

http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

My mash tun is a kettle so I can correct, but what I do is run the calculator, then subtract about 3 degrees from what it tells me. I usually hit my number dead on with this method.

In your case, since you have the mass of the cooler to heat as well, I advise running the calculator and then using the actual number it spits out.

My advice is to take a few minutes to learn the software first...I learned by watching Bobby's YouTube tutorials, then take the time to calibrate your equipment and enter that data into BTP. That way, if BTP says to heat strike water to 167 for a target temp of 153, it will be spot-on! Here's some links:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back