Water fer' dummies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelersrbrun

Reaction score
Have a recipe where I want my calcium at or just above 100ppm and a PH of 5.4. My water will be RO. I'm going to add gypsum to the mash to add calcium and I have my volumes and weights figured out. My question is on my PH of 5.4. I assume I have to mash in first, then take my PH reading and then make adjustments with phosphoric etc? Or is my understanding of this really off.

No, that's essentially correct. You can, if you wish, do the pH check with a small portion of the grist before you actually brew. That way if you find adjustment needed you will be ready for it.

ajdelange said:
No, that's essentially correct. You can, if you wish, do the pH check with a small portion of the grist before you actually brew. That way if you find adjustment needed you will be ready for it.

Thanks! You mean just make a super small batch with the same grain % and water?

Yooper said:
I was wondering- why do you want your calcium at 100 ppm?

That's what Brynildson has for his union jack recipe. Can't get it in FL so I will try to brew it right....I hope;-)

ajdelange said:
Yes, exactly.

Great idea....brew day will be hectic enough as this will be my first batch with major water chemistry and an infusion step mash. Will try the mini batch soon....thanks for the help.

Back