Electric heating element

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CircleC-Brewer

Reaction score
I would like to use an electric heating element for my HLT. How many watts are necessary to bring 10 gallons to a boil quickly? Would a 110V heating element suffice or do I need to use a 220V?

Unfortunately the washer and dryer connections are not in the garage. So I would have to get a new 220 outlet installed.

Thanks

CircleC-Brewer

Looks like wortmonger has you covered! But to answer your question about 110 v 220, 110 is very slow.... for me its like .5 - 1 degree per minute! You would definitely need insulation to get it to high temps. 220 is recommended, and the wattage varies depending on which element you get. Some are 3000watts but they go up from there. The 110v I have is a 1500watt to put in perspective for you. I recommend higher than 3000watts if you see one but be sure you use thicker gauge wire because it (3000watts) will pull almost 15 amps on a 220v outlet and even more on a 110. Higher wattage elements will pull more. Hope this helps and good luck. :mug:

Yeah, best I can do on my system now is 2 degrees per minute. That is almost not good enough for my step infusion needed temperature rises in my HLT.

Thanks for the responses. Looks like I will need to check into the cost of having a 240V plug Installed in the garage. Some good news, I found a 30 AMP 25' extension cord for $35 dollars on Amazon.

Circlec-Brewer

Back