Conditioning Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PalmBeachPaul

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I have an Ed Wort House Pale Ale in my secondary for about 5 days. I want to make it the clearest possible, so I know I need to crash cold the secondary for several days, but I'm not sure when. Should I wait another 10 days an then crash cold or can start the ice bath now? Another question, how cold is "crash cold"? I don't have a fridge for my secondary so I use a big cooler full of water and iced bottles.
The other thing is when I racked from the primary to the secondary, I tasted a little bit and it was really bitter. Will the hard bitter taste mellow after 2 weeks in the secondary?
Thank you for your help.
Cheers:mug:

You can crash cool it now if you want to. When I crash cool I get the Keezer down to 33-34 degrees and then put the carboy in for 3-5 days.

Thanks Riclark, I don't have too much space in my cooler, I hope I can bring the temperature down to 34 degrees with the iced bottles. I apologize for my ignorance, but I'm new in this, what is a Keezer??
Thanks again.

i've got a batch of ESB in the primary now for 7 days. should i transfer the beer to the secondary and then crash cool or crash cool in the primary then go to the secondary then keg. i also want to dry hop this somewhere in all this.

Back