Just brewed Sierra Nevada PA clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WBC

Reaction score
Today I felt the need to make 12 gallons of SNPA. I have made it before and did not quite have enough gravity but this time it is right there. I also used Magnum for bittering and then at 30 min Perle and at the 5 minute mark I tossed in 4.5 ozs of cascade. I cooled in 20 Min to 80F and drained into the carboys. I did not worry about whirlpooling at all so I got all the goodness. I also fly sparged (limited the flow to last 1 hour) and got 80 percent eff. Most of the time I don't even check it. The hydrometer sample was yummy. I got WLP001 slurry yeast from the brewery near me this time and pitched 500 ML to each carboy at 80F. This should be going good in 4 hours I think. Everything went smooth as butter. I love it when a plan comes together.

:mug:

WOW 500ml of yeast! This beer is on my list of beers to def. try to brew. I love pretty much every beer sierra nevada makes. I just had their porter for the first time this weekend. It was a solid porter, not as good as their pale ale.

Brewsmith said:
WBC, which brewery did you get the yeast from? The BJ's in Covina?

Yep, I made friends with the brewers there and have taken some of my brew up there for evaluation. Oscar has been really good to me and I just noticed that the ale is already fermenting in 2 hours 15 minutes.......... WOW. I got this one from the Nutty Brunette fermentor. Talk about viable yeast. :)

I used to live in Azusa and spent many a Sunday night over there. My brother is in Covina about a half mile from there. I wish I caould make it over there more often. The BJ's closer to me don't brew.

That's a shame but I'm sure that they will brew given time. The fact that they get beer from existing BJ's brewers helps them keep the beer flowing. I just love the Piranha ale and have a recipe made up and am going to brew that next. I will keep you informed at how close I get to the taste. It should be really close.

I love their Jeremiah Red!!

It is delicious. I got a half barrel keg of it a couple years ago for my tool shower (why should brides-to-be only get to have showers?)

We got t@nked.:rockin:

Any of their beers will do damage. One of the carboys just blew the blowoff tube off. It was 1/2 inch too. This yeast is really ready to eat. I have the temperature down to 61F and it does not care. I'm going to be watching it carefully in the coming hours.

Their Jeremiah Red was the first beer I ever had, no joke. That was at the one in Huntington Beach. I also lived in Lakewood at one time, right near where they opened the one in Cerritos. There's a new one opening here in Torrance soon, but I don't know if they will brew on site. I really hope they do. Plus the 10% AHA discount is nice.

Back