Iodophor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, I have read around and found the following:

Iodophor is almost magical in its convenience: there's no waiting and no rinsing. Cleaning Iodophor does not clean. Use a cleanser such as TSP before sanitizing with Iodophor. Sanitizing Mix 1 ml per litre of cold water. You must use a syringe for accurate measurement. Use a spray bottle to coat equipment with solution. Shake off excess or allow equipment to drain. Do not rinse. Use the equipment. It's that easy! Cautions When in solution, Iodophor rapidly breaks down. Every time you use it, you must make a fresh solution. Not effective unless mixed accurately.

This says 1ml per litre...12 ml per 3 gallons. The bottle says 3/5oz for 3 gallons gives a 25ppm solution, so 1ml/litre should give a 17-18ppm solution....good enough?

The bottle also says soak things for 2 minutes, but this says no waiting, can we assume if 25ppm or so, a spray is all we need....no waiting?

When it says doesn't last long, how long is long? If I make some sanitizer for 1 batch and make another batch a few hours later, is it still good....will is maintain its viability as a sanitizer for 12 hours?

I believe the reason it breaks down so fast is when you put the iodophore into water, it releases the iodine ionizes and sublimates out of the water.

instead of buying the expensive iodophone sold a hbs, look for teat dip at a local farm supply. It's $8/gal here ... thats 256tbsp for $8 and why I use it exclusively.

descent article on iodophore/free iodine on killing nasties. http://www.milkproduction.com/Libra...e_germicidal_activity_of+_odine_teat_dips.htm

z987k said:
I believe the reason it breaks down so fast is when you put the iodophore into water, it releases the iodine ionizes and sublimates out of the water.

instead of buying the expensive iodophone sold a hbs, look for teat dip at a local farm supply. It's $8/gal here ... thats 256tbsp for $8 and why I use it exclusively.

descent article on iodophore/free iodine on killing nasties. http://www.milkproduction.com/Libra...e_germicidal_activity_of+_odine_teat_dips.htm

Yep I mention bulk dairy sanitizer in that thread. Thanks for the article on it.

Ahhh good old Teat Dips. Hmmm Good. :D

I have a septic system and have given all my Iodophor away and switched to Starsan. 30 second contact and no rinse. Don't fear the foam!

Basic Brewing Radio had an informative podcast on Iodophor:

http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=basic-brewing-radio-2007

It is the March 22, 2007 podcast.

I remember it mentions that while Iodophor needs a contact time of 2 minutes, it does not need to be submerged in Iodophor for 2 minutes. Once it is wet with iodophor, it won't immediately evaporate off the surface. It will still be on the surface for 2 minutes, which is why you can get away with just no waiting.

To be safe, I always let my equipment soak for a minute and take it out. I'm not too sure about the concentrations. I don't think it mentions the concentrations on the podcast, since I think it might vary from different types of iodophor. My bottle conveniently says that 1/2 capful is good for 2.5 gallons, making a capful good for 5 gallons.

if you look at that link I posted it has contact times for various things depending on concentration.

I let my supplies airdry after using iodophor. When I poured my chilled wort into my primary, the fermenter was still a little bit wet with tiny iodophor-solution water drops. Does anyone ever do this? Or, do people make sure that their equipment is 100%, completely dry before exposing it to the wort?

polamalu43 said:
I let my supplies airdry after using iodophor. When I poured my chilled wort into my primary, the fermenter was still a little bit wet with tiny iodophor-solution water drops. Does anyone ever do this? Or, do people make sure that their equipment is 100%, completely dry before exposing it to the wort?

I usually let it sit and dry throughtout the boil, but most of the time it's still a little wet when I use it.

Don't worry about a few drops. You are talking about a few mls of already diluted sanitizer being added to 5 gallons! You'll never know it was there.

DSV said:
Don't worry about a few drops. You are talking about a few mls of already diluted sanitizer being added to 5 gallons! You'll never know it was there.

+1 on this

According to the research I've done it's better to have"wet contact" with the iodophor (or even starsan) then totally dry....as long as the object is wet with the sanitizer it is still killing anything that may land on or in it....For example with bottling, the insides are still wet...after I dip them and turn the upside down they are still damp with sanitizer, when I'm ready to fill I give them a final shake, but they are far from airdry....I've never had any beer of my beers taste bad...and in the case of starsan the sanitizer actually feeds the yeast.

Back