Bourbon Oaking Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drunde77

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been soaking 1 oz of medium toast oak chips for a week in some American Honey Bourbon. (I failed to measure the bourbon that i used). Anyways, last night I added the chips and bourbon to the secondary for my porter. (moose drool clone). Today I came down to the basement and found this guy with some bubling again. Is this normal? Also, how long should I wait to keg this guy?

Thanks,
Doug

Just could be degassing a bit.

I leave my caribou slobber/moose drool clone in primary 2 weeks, secondary a month and then I keg and serve. It doesn't taste awesome until another month in the keg.... but that's me

I would go off of gravity measurements if you're unsure. I'd check it once a day over a period of 3 days to see if the gravity has changed. Once you get the same gravity reading 2 times in a row, is when I'd keg. I'd also recommend checking the beer at regular intervals to avoid over-oaking. I've done this many times and it takes forever to age out. Cheers!

I think it's pretty normal. Oak chips contain a bit of sugars, so it might start to ferment again a bit.

Acutally, I know it is done fermenting, or so I thought. It came out to 1.014 for 3 days. I then put it in the secondary for two weeks and now am just adding the oak/bourbon (wild turkey tennesee honey). I just want to know how long to keep the oak/bourbon in before kegging. I have read that oak chips can work quickly.

Should I leave in just for a week?

Also, any reason why I am getting the bubbles?

Oak chips will get you oak flavor much faster than cubes. I don't think there's any way to give you a set time on how long it will take. I would start checking after just a couple of days and check every couple of days until the desired level of oak flavor is reached. Use your palate rather than the calendar and you'll be much happier with the end result.

Ill keep tasting it... could fermentation started again due to the honey added to the bourbon? Maybe I should of added just bourbon. ....

Just could be degassing a bit.

I leave my caribou slobber/moose drool clone in primary 2 weeks, secondary a month and then I keg and serve. It doesn't taste awesome until another month in the keg.... but that's me

Sorry just now saw yours.... yeah the batch I got on tap now is that age and is great!

I kicked a 4 month keg of it few weeks ago, last pour was the best..... figures!

Back