Spa Panel Wiring for Dummies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How are people securing the cable as it exits the spa panel (I'm not using plugs/receptacles)? The clamp that comes with the panel didn't work for me, it clamps the cable but still moves around in the hole

How are people securing the cable as it exits the spa panel (I'm not using plugs/receptacles)? The clamp that comes with the panel didn't work for me, it clamps the cable but still moves around in the hole
Lot's of ways to do this and various designs for the stress relief fitting. In some the cable pushes a plastic tab out of the way as it is inserted and that tab grips the cable thereafter. Putting some electrical tape around the outside of the cable effectively makes the jacket thicker so whatever clamp you have can grip it better (but it isn't pretty). Stripping the jacket off some scrap cable and stuffing that between the existing clamp or slitting the jacket carefully and folding it back over the cable at installation have the same effect. Finally the old style metal bushings clamp down pretty tightly so that even a skinny cable should be firmly fixed.

Lot's of ways to do this and various designs for the stress relief fitting. In some the cable pushes a plastic tab out of the way as it is inserted and that tab grips the cable thereafter. Putting some electrical tape around the outside of the cable effectively makes the jacket thicker so whatever clamp you have can grip it better (but it isn't pretty). Stripping the jacket off some scrap cable and stuffing that between the existing clamp or slitting the jacket carefully and folding it back over the cable at installation have the same effect. Finally the old style metal bushings clamp down pretty tightly so that even a skinny cable should be firmly fixed.

Thanks, sounds like there is a multitude of options from cheap (tape) to expensive (cable gland)

What size cable gland would I need for 10/4 cable? Can I just use calipers to measure the diameter, or is there a special electrical code for each size?

Back