WLP007 and CRAZY attenuation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
So I made up a batch of india red ale, with a large amount of dark crystal, two row base and some oats. I mashed at 150 and fermented at 67 degrees. The OG of the beer was 1.072 and I pitched onto the yeast cake from a 1.040 batch of bitter......sounds about right doesn't it?

The final gravity of the india red ale is 1.008!! That is %89 apparent attenuation. I measured this at least 5 times to make sure there wasn't a mistake.......

This yeast may literally be the best ale yeast on earth. :mug:

After 5 days it is crystal clear and it tastes quite good. I thought it would be fiery, but that is not the case. I wanted this to be a big, red IPA so I think the dry finish will be a good thing....at least i hope.

But man, WLP007 is crazy stuff.

12 gallons
25# two row
1 pound C45
1 pound C74
1 pound C120
4 oz chocolate
2.6 pounds oats
1.5 pound honey
mashed at 150, thats the grain bill.

1.5 pound honey
mashed at 150, thats the grain bill.

My guess...this is the reason for the low FG...007 is a beast and will consistently get you below 1.010 without the honey as long as it's taken care of. I re-pitch this yeast all the time and it never ceases to amaze me, even at 64F. The lower mash temp helped too.

This beer looks delicious by the way:rockin:!!!

Back