Watermelon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redliner

Reaction score
Hi everyone I just finished putting my first beer in the primary. I have been thinking of recipes for my second beer. I thinking about doing a watermelon le since I went to boston beer works the last 3 summers and they have it so refreshing. I was just wondering if anyone had some great recipes for this. Like I said im new to this and maybe need some explaining about the ingredients a little bit. My first beer is a kit from true brew its there oktoberfest. i want to step it up to my own recipes now though.

A friend did two watermelon beers. The first had 5lbs of just the red part of some good, fresh, sweet watermelon. The beer tasted like watermelon rinds. The second was flavored with a commercial watermelon extract and it tasted great - like the part of watermelon you want to eat. YMMV.

That particular beer is a light ale and you can add watermelon extract at bottling. Place into your bottling bucket and rack your beer on top of it to mix it together, taste it, and add more watermelon to taste.

Checking out BBW website they actually use a naturally flavored watermelon extract. Real watermelon is mostly water so you would probably have to use ALOT if you wanted to steep that in a secondary to impart enough taste. I would love to make something like that this summer, thanks for implanting the idea in my head!

awesome thank you for that idea. When I was researching on here I saw wheat beer with the watermelon but I was looking more for the light refreshing my wife loved it. Could someone help me out with a great lite beer recipe that should go great with it. Also if someone has used a watermelon extract that they loved.

I had a friend try it once and it came out fake tasting thats why I was looking at doing real watermelon

Back