19 hours later

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldyote

Reaction score
I love pulled pork, almost as much as I love beer. Making it and eating it. :ban:

IMG_7891.jpg

IMG_7894.jpg

IMG_7900.jpg

IMG_7902.jpg

IMG_7904.jpg

Looks great! As much as I like beer, I love myself some barbecue especially homemade! I always use some dark beer in my homemade sauce! But you look like you like it dry whereas I prefer it a little wet :):) The smoke ring looks excellent btw, you can tell it was cooking for a long time!

I'm still playing around with how to serve it. I've leaned toward dry and then let people do with it what they want. Myself I prefer it slathered in BBQ goodness and topped with slaw. I used about two cups of apple wood, one cup to start with and one cup about 8 hours in. This seems about right.

The great thing about making BBQ is that even if it takes 19 hours you get to enjoy the efforts of your work much sooner than brewing.

The great thing about making BBQ is that even if it takes 19 hours you get to enjoy the efforts of your work much sooner than brewing.

I think it also appeals to a wider range of my friends and family too! Not everyone cares for bold, flavorful beer but everyone loves some good cooked animal flesh except my buddy's vegetarian GF! :D

BGE FTW!

TwoForty, there's still hope for your buddy's GF. My wife was a vegetarian for something like 15 years. Then she got pregnant and the first official craving was for corned beef on rye with mustard. Second craving was for meatloaf on white bread with brown gravy.

This past winter, she suggested we buy a chest freezer and a side of beef.

I owe it all to my son!

BGE FTW!

TwoForty, there's still hope for your buddy's GF. My wife was a vegetarian for something like 15 years. Then she got pregnant and the first official craving was for corned beef on rye with mustard. Second craving was for meatloaf on white bread with brown gravy.

This past winter, she suggested we buy a chest freezer and a side of beef.

I owe it all to my son!

That's pretty awesome! If only I could find a way to make the SWMBO drink beer! :mug:

Well, mine's also a beer girl.

Now, if she would just suggest a second chest freezer so I could start kegging. ;)

Well, mine's also a beer girl.

Now, if she would just suggest a second chest freezer so I could start kegging. ;)

Man! My sister is a beer girl and loves what I cook up! The SWMBO isn't even a drinker. However, I must say that my SWMBO is not really the must be obeyed kind. As long as the bills are paid, I can do what I please with my scratch. So my next step is kegging :D. Im saving to do it big! and right of course!

Back on topic. I make a sammich sauce with Maker's Mark, Dr. Pepper, ketchup and maple syrup. I simmer a little and then pour into my pulled pork. Not a lot, but enough to keep it moist if it has to sit out for a while. Otherwise, i don't add anything before serving.

Personally, I like glazed ribs, but not saucy ribs. I do like a little sauce in brisket. But if you need to drown your BBQ in a flavor cover-up, there's something wrong. Cole slaw being an obvious exception in the above. ;)

Yum!

Nice, I just got a Primo XL, I need to do this! Did you do anything other then smoke it? What temp did you finish it at?

BTW Im not a big hickory fan, Apple sounds good!

Apple is a rockin' wood for smoking just about anything. Also like pecan when I can find it around here.

Mesquite is my go-to, though. Reminds me of Texas.

I also hear good things about guava. There was a guy in the Big Green Egg forum in Hawaii, I think, who sold guava chunks. Always wanted to try that.

Nice, I just got a Primo XL, I need to do this! Did you do anything other then smoke it? What temp did you finish it at?

BTW Im not a big hickory fan, Apple sounds good!

Slathered in mustard and put on some pork rub. Started the lump at 215 with a cup of apple wood. After about 8 hours I blasted the shoulder with a good spritz of apple juice, added some lump and another cup of apple wood. Once the shoulder hit 160 (about 15 hours in) I blasted it with apple juice again, covered in foil and bumped the temp up to 225. Took another 4 hours to get the shoulder up to 195. Took it of and let it rest in the foil about 45 minutes and pulled. I had a couple of quarts of apple juice in the pan just to help keep it moist in the egg and to keep the drippings for baking onto the pan. I only opened the egg maybe 3 times and each time I would add a little apple juice. After 19 hours and probably 3 quarts of apple juice I ended up with about two cups of juice/drippings.

I keep reading about using mustard to get the rub to stick, does this leave a taste? Thats a hell of a long time at 215, this must have been a large Butt, no?

Apple is a rockin' wood for smoking just about anything. Also like pecan when I can find it around here.

Mesquite is my go-to, though. Reminds me of Texas.

I also hear good things about guava. There was a guy in the Big Green Egg forum in Hawaii, I think, who sold guava chunks. Always wanted to try that.

Im going to give the Apple a shot, Im from the Santa Maria area (Tri tips birthplace) so Im very partial to red oak but I also find Almond wood is really good believe it or not. Hickory is just so overpowering for me, I guess I use to much every time I try it. Mesquite is great on white meats.

That guava sounds cool, if you run into his post again share it here, Id be up for and exchange to try it out.

I keep reading about using mustard to get the rub to stick, does this leave a taste? Thats a hell of a long time at 215, this must have been a large Butt, no?

Eight Pounds

215 at the shoulder level that was right at 200 in the dome.

I do my butts at 240*, figure roughly 2 hours per pound at that temp, pull em off at 200* internal temp. You can either let it stand covered for a short time and then pull or it'll be fine for about 4 hours covered and placed in a cooler in case it finishes early. Fruitwoods are great with pork, I also like pecan. Hickory/Mesquite are better for beef, IMO. Really it depends on the rub which wood I will use or I'm in the mood for. BGE and Primo are very, very similar. I also use the Stoker but the BBQ Guru is just as good, more a matter of which interface you want to have.

Also no mustard here, and I don't spritz or baste. BGE does a helluva job of keeping everything moist and juicy.

The mustard doesn't leave a noticeable taste at all. I always slather my butts and brisket. I cook my Boston butts at 225F on a 1966 Sazco Kamado. It works wonderfully!

Looks great! Until to the last pic...

One thing I'll never understand is coleslaw on a pulled pork sammich.

I didn't either until I tried it. The cool slaw against the hot and spicy just pulled pork along with the crunch strikes a perfect balance in taste and texture. It's like a little piece of heaven

I tried it. Several times. It's just as bad as mayonnaise on a cheeseburger.

Not sure why you would try something several times you didn't like, but its all good. Some people like pale ale its just not for me.

I like slaw on a pork sammich or hotdog and for Faux Reubens too; pastrami, provolone, slaw, on buttered/grilled rye, yum. And I don't even really like coleslaw as a side, just on pork sammiches/reubens/hotdogs.

I have done it both ways and found absolutely no difference what so ever between the two. I don't really have any problems getting the rub to stick either so I don't bother with the mustard.

Try spraying the meat with PAM or another aerosolized oil, it works well.

You could really rub a little olive on your meat :) as well!

I do the olive oil rub now, not sure I need to try the mustard as I dont care for it to begin with, now a brown mustard rub may be a different story.

Im going to smoke a butt as soon as this dam rain stops. Ill try some of your ideas.
favorite rub recipes anyone? Something sweet and spicy.

Dizzy Pig has some really good rubs. dizzy pig bbq dot com Bad Byrons Butt Rub is pretty good too. A friend of mine has a rub he trying to get to market but not out yet, name is Howie's Up in Smoke.

Dizzy Pig has some really good rubs. dizzy pig bbq dot com Bad Byrons Butt Rub is pretty good too. A friend of mine has a rub he trying to get to market but not out yet, name is Howie's Up in Smoke.

Thanks, Ill have a look at those. I am a bit more interested in making my own, goes well with homebrew ya know. :tank:

Back