How long do you have to use crushed grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tfrost12

Reaction score
I had two batches of grain that I wasn't able to use over the summer. I am wondering that if they were kept in refrigerated conditions if they could still be used 3 months after they were crushed. I have some liquid extract around too, but I am pretty sure that should have lasted three months.

The liquid extract should be ok (depending on how long it was on the store shelf). The crushed grain I would not personally use. Grain is very stable due to its husk and extremely low moisture content. Once that husk is crushed, the starch is exposed to the environment. Depending on how it stored..... I would still go buy new grain especially if it is just specialty malt. The crushed grain will absorb odor, you wouldnt want your pale ale to taste funky. Was it stored in an air tight container? you make the call.

I have used crushed grain that was 2 months old. As long as it is stored cool, dry & air tight; it should be fine.

I have used crushed grain that was 2 months old. As long as it is stored cool, dry & air tight; it should be fine.

I have a bag of crushed grain that's been stored airtight at room temp for ~4 months or so. I was going to throw it out, but maybe I'll just brew it for the hell of it anyhow.

I've used crushed grain that's a year old once. It was chocolate malt and it certainly mellowed out a bit but it worked just fine. Taste the grain. If it tastes fine, use it.

I just brewed with crushed grain that I've had since march, they were sealed and completely air tight away from moisture. I had no conversion problems and I can overall see no adverse affects from using it. I personally see nothing wrong with using it unless it got exposed to the air or moisture.

I decided to use the grains, I double the recipe somewhat to make a ten gallon batch instead of five gallons. (not exactly duplicated but made a hybrid of a oktoberfest and a pumpkin lager to get the best of two popular fall styles.) I didnt get my normal efficiency but it was only off by 6%. The old grains smelt and tasted almost as fresh as the new ones I bought to add to this batch. This recipe's grains had been in a vacuum sealed bag, and was refrigerated almost the entire time. I'll see in the next month if it comes out all right.

thanks for the advice. Im hoping this batch turns out well.

If it tastes good, use it. It will get stale (oxidized) over time. The enzymes are QUITE stable. They will remain active long after the malt has staled. This fall I'll be able to have students compare fresh, 1yr, 2 yr and 3 yr crushed (to a powder) malt for enzyme activity.

Back