Single week from grain to glass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have gotten from grain to glass in 10 days with great results, I could see a week with a fast fermenting beer like a light American wheat!! I am inspired to do a quick beer just to swell the summer pipeline!

Mine is fermenting right now. Brewed on Sunday. My goal is to start drinking it on Thursday. I'm going to place it in my fridge Wed. evening. That is only 72 hrs. (actually, probably 76 hrs.) of fermentation before chilling. I'm trying a few "tricks". I might wait until Thurs. morning to chill if I'm not happy with the gravity. I'll post my results.

This is why I love kegging. Going camping on the 11th, not starting this beer till Friday.

The second pale ale that I kegged went from grain to glass in about a week. It sat in the primary for 5 or 6 days then I racked to the secondary. I let it force carb overnight before I started drinking it. I thought it was awesome. As long as there's enough pressure to push the beer out then it's good enough to drink imo.

I did a hefe a week ago. It stopped fermenting a 2-3 days ago. Dare I keg it tonight, put 30 PSI on it and try drinking it Thursday night?

Just kegged my Wit last night, but it was 2 weeks in the primary, so it doesn't count. I may wait til 4 th of July weekend to try it.

This thread is useless without pic and recipe!

Haha ;) alright...

4675606202_7f80266865.jpg

Code:
American Wheat - American Wheat or Rye Beer
[FONT="Courier New"]================================================================================
Batch Size: 2.500 gal
Boil Size: 3.000 gal
Boil Time: 1.000 hr
Efficiency: 70%
OG: 1.053
FG: 1.013
ABV: 5.3%
Bitterness: 20.1 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 4 SRM (Morey)

Fermentables
================================================================================
                 Name  Type   Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
 Pale Malt (2 Row) US Grain 2.500 lb    Yes   No   79%   2 L
     White Wheat Malt Grain 2.500 lb    Yes   No   86%   2 L
Total grain: 5.000 lb

Hops
================================================================================
       Name Alpha   Amount  Use     Time   Form  IBU
 Willamette  4.8% 0.600 oz Boil 1.000 hr Pellet 20.1
 Willamette  4.8% 0.176 oz Boil  0.000 s Pellet  0.0
   Amarillo  9.5% 0.176 oz Boil  0.000 s Pellet  0.0

Yeast
                    Name Type   Form    Amount   Stage
 Wyeast - American Wheat  Ale Liquid 0.528 cup Primary

Mash
               Name     Type    Amount    Target       Time
         Conversion Infusion 1.875 gal 152.000 F   1.000 hr
 Final Batch Sparge Infusion 1.775 gal 165.200 F 15.000 min[/FONT]

Last time a pushed a Blonde ale I ended up with lots of acetylaldehyde, so she was green apple Blonde, but then I worry about this...

Quote: Acetylaldehyde is the first break down product of alcohol. It is a toxin that is believed to cause most of the damage from alcoholism. Unfortunately, yeast make this toxin.

Last time a pushed a Blonde ale I ended up with lots of acetylaldehyde, so she was green apple Blonde, but then I worry about this...

Quote: Acetylaldehyde is the first break down product of alcohol. It is a toxin that is believed to cause most of the damage from alcoholism. Unfortunately, yeast make this toxin.

If that is the case, then Budweiser is killing millions :D. In this beer, I pitched 100 billion cells for 2.5 gallons of wort, and that seems to have been enough to avoid off-flavors. The recipe is also pretty modest in grains, and it was fully attenuated when I racked to the keg.

I've tried several "Speed Brews" in the past that were kegged in a week.

If you drink them right away...like ALL of it at a party that night...it should be good.

I aged one keg for a week and the big "D" (diacetyl) showed up for the party. :eek:
A sure sign I took it off the yeast before it cleaned up after itself.

I pulled it from the keezer and added 1/4 packet of Notty to it for a week and it cleaned up all the butter flavor. :rockin:

I aged one keg for a week and the big "D" (diacetyl) showed up for the party. :eek:
A sure sign I took it off the yeast before it cleaned up after itself.

I pulled it from the keezer and added 1/4 packet of Notty to it for a week and it cleaned up all the butter flavor. :rockin:

I might be wrong, but I think the most likely reason diacetyl would suddenly appear after a week would be a bacterial infection, as infections can also cause diacetyl. Mine's a week in the keg now and tastes just as good as it did a week ago :rockin:

I might be wrong, but I think the most likely reason diacetyl would suddenly appear after a week would be a bacterial infection, as infections can also cause diacetyl. Mine's a week in the keg now and tastes just as good as it did a week ago :rockin:

I'm not sure it was "all of a sudden". It could of happened a day or so later. I was on business travel so I have no idea when it actually turned.

Diacetyl is also a by-product of not allowing enough time for the yeast to clean up after fermentation is complete...i.e., racking too soon...(I'm sticking to that theory...;)) All the other brews were OK. I don't take sanitation shortcuts.

I'm not sure it was "all of a sudden". It could of happened a day or so later. I was on business travel so I have no idea when it actually turned.

Diacetyl is also a by-product of not allowing enough time for the yeast to clean up after fermentation is complete...i.e., racking too soon...(I'm sticking to that theory...;)) All the other brews were OK. I don't take sanitation shortcuts.

It never hurts to be reminded of what we don't know (i.e. humbled). Just when I think I'm starting to "get" this brewing stuff you guys throw out all that chemistry crap and confuse the hell out of me.

Keep it coming. One day I'll figure it out.

rocketman, if your beer tastes as good as it looks then I am extremely jealous!

Now I've got to go pour me a cold one, thanks a lot!:p

Back