Learned something new about C02

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

underwaterdan

Reaction score
I was talking to a guy who installs beer and soda lines for bars. He explained to me the way you get your C02 matters. He said there are basically two ways to get the food grade C02, someone who gets a delivery of a large tank filled with C02 and just fill yours from there, or someone who has a system with a pump and stuff that fills your keg with C02(there are probably other ways).
Anyway he explained to me that getting your C02 from a place that has a large tank and fills yours isnt as good because your percentage of C02 is off because the tank isnt recirculated and the C seperates from the 02.
He did mention it is just a slight difference for beer but for soda it makes it flat tasting.

Just sharing that, congrats if you read it all.

Yeah. Umm, No.

It's not that easy bro. It takes a LOT of effort and energy to separate the carbon from the oxygen.

If breaking the bonds was that simple then there would be no concept of emmissions in our generation.

Your chain has been pulled.

CO2 is a bonded chemical and is very difficult to separate.

Haha, chemistry fail :) If that guy was telling the truth, he would know how to fix 'global warming'. Now if you grow plants in your CO2 tank, then you might have case...

This seems akin to the 'debate' over CO2 produced by yeast vs forced carbonation :p

About once a year I have the inside of my CO2 tank cleaned. Afterwards the tank will hold more gas because I have now removed all that liberated carbon that accumulates in the bottom of the tank.

Huh.

For a second I wasn't sure whether you got your leg pulled, or whether you were trying to pull ours. :p

We do stuff like this all the time in the Army... you'd be amazed how many kids will believe that humvees need blinker fluid and muffler bearings.

Is that why there is always diamonds in my tank? All that carbon under high pressure must do it. Now I know.

Huh.

For a second I wasn't sure whether you got your leg pulled, or whether you were trying to pull ours. :p

We do stuff like this all the time in the Army... you'd be amazed how many kids will believe that humvees need blinker fluid and muffler bearings.

Yep, same in the Air Force, Just yesterday I had one of my troops run into Flight Ops to grab me an extra 50 feet of Flight Line.

what are you guys talking about?

I fuel my hydrogen car by letting buckets full of water sit for awhile, then just skim off the hydrogen. works every time.

Yep, same in the Air Force, Just yesterday I had one of my troops run into Flight Ops to grab me an extra 50 feet of Flight Line.

Hah....in the Navy we had a kid standing on the back of the ship with a pipe wrench. We were going through the Straits of Gibraltar, where there are indigenous monkeys. We told him they could swim and would try to get on board, and he believed it!:p

Huh.

The best I have seen is a guy spending a whole day trying to get his ID-10T form signed

I have read where people think there is oil in co2 if it isn't food grade.

And I used to work with a guy who would send young sailers to the bridge to grease the relative bearing.

Back