Bocktoberfest recipe & tasting notes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David

Reaction score
Not sure about the amounter of water used, but this was about 12.4 gallons of beer bottled. Brewed in early October, bottled just before Halloween. Just did the 2nd tasting notes today.

Bocktoberfest – 7.2% Traditional Bock/Octoberfest hybrid
OG: 1.075 FG: 1.020

Grains:
2 lbs Vienna
2 lbs Munich
1 lbs Pilsner
8 oz Chocolate

Extract:
8 qts Pale Liquid malt
2 qts clear sugar extract

Hops:
3 oz Hallertau (35 min)
2.6 oz Czech Saaz (15 min)
2.6 oz Tettnanger (10 min)

Irish Moss
White Labs 833 German Bock

Few weeks after bottling. Slightly hazy dark orange to light brown. Thick and creamy, malty with a hint of apple cider taste and the noble hops come through very slightly.

About 2 and a half months after bottling. This beer held up well over time due to being in a small fridge that I don't open much. Cream/light tan colored head, somewhat thick but fades quickly. Dark orange to light brown. Poured from a 22oz bomber – the first glass was very clear but the second was hazy and more full-bodied from some fine sediment. Big time maltiness hits my whole tongue but fades fast. Malty and a little sweet with a slight nutty flavor when cold, and a little bit of apple cider as it warms up. I can barely taste any hops now – this is the anti-IPA.

This is a great beer and I would definitely brew it again but 7.2% is about the highest ABV I would want. It's somewhat of a big beer and the alcohol comes through a little bit at times.

Back