Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer Jalapeno Cream Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a meet up with some friends in April after about 3 years and would love to surprise them with this beer.
However I'm not sure if I can source fresh Jalapenos here in the next few week. Does this also work with canned/jarred Jalapenos?
I'll avoid the soggy ones that have been soaked for a few years. I know a few good brands that still have a bit of bite to them.
If so how much should I use?

Thanks!

I'm not sure how well jarred jalapenos would do, because those are usually pickled. Could cause of issues. If you want to try it, I'd try it on a small batch of a larger beer to make sure it doesn't get weird.

I'm not sure how well jarred jalapenos would do, because those are usually pickled. Could cause of issues. If you want to try it, I'd try it on a small batch of a larger beer to make sure it doesn't get weird.

Thanks for your reply.

I just thought about it myself, if they are pickled they will probably have some salt on them even if I wash them thoroughly.

I'll wait until I can get some fresh ones.
There's enough other fine beers on here I can impress my friends with :)

Thanks for your reply.

I just thought about it myself, if they are pickled they will probably have some salt on them even if I wash them thoroughly.

I'll wait until I can get some fresh ones.
There's enough other fine beers on here I can impress my friends with :)

I couldn't wait and ordered some peppers online.
I also ordered some seeds and a mini green house with a heating pad so I can have my own peppers this summer :ban: :D

I couldn't wait and ordered some peppers online.
I also ordered some seeds and a mini green house with a heating pad so I can have my own peppers this summer :ban: :D

So I have to ask: where are you from that getting jalapeno's in the winter is so difficult? Must be pretty off the grid in USA or northern canada/alaska/scandanavia. If so, kudos to your commitment to the recipe! I really enjoyed it.

So I have to ask: where are you from that getting jalapeno's in the winter is so difficult? Must be pretty off the grid in USA or northern canada/alaska/scandanavia. If so, kudos to your commitment to the recipe! I really enjoyed it.

Hi.
I'm from Ireland but live in the countryside in Germany.
It's actually difficult the whole year to get fresh jalapenos and believe or not fresh coriander. None of the normal local supermarkets normally have these because nobody buys them and the supermarket has to buy a minimum quantity so they would probably have to throw a lot of them away.

I was at a few Turkish and Indonesian shops and coriander is no problem to get there but Jalapenos are not part of their cuisine so no luck. Lots of other types of peppers though.

I'd probably find something in one of the bigger cities near me but to driving there costs more money and time than ordering some on the internet.
Plus I got free shipping. :mug:

Hopefully everything arrives before Friday :)

Hi.
I'm from Ireland but live in the countryside in Germany.
It's actually difficult the whole year to get fresh jalapenos and believe or not fresh coriander. None of the normal local supermarkets normally have these because nobody buys them and the supermarket has to buy a minimum quantity so they would probably have to throw a lot of them away.

Hopefully everything arrives before Friday :)

Hopefully! I forget sometimes that we're so spoiled in available foodstuffs in the suburbs of the USA.

Good luck, and happy brewing! :mug:

Hopefully! I forget sometimes that we're so spoiled in available foodstuffs in the suburbs of the USA.

Good luck, and happy brewing! :mug:

Thanks!

A question to all.

I'm roasting the peppers at the moment and am wondering about cleaning my equipment afterwards. Any special/extra cleaning I need to do after brewing with chillies so that the heat doesn't carry over to my next batch?

Also apart from having a few floaties anything against throwing the seeds into the boil too?

:tank:

Thanks!

A question to all.

I'm roasting the peppers at the moment and am wondering about cleaning my equipment afterwards. Any special/extra cleaning I need to do after brewing with chillies so that the heat doesn't carry over to my next batch?

Also apart from having a few floaties anything against throwing the seeds into the boil too?

:tank:

Assuming you made this already...throw the peppers on in. I didn't have any issue with the seeds in the boil.

If you secondary the peppers in glass, you won't need to do anything special as far as cleaning. Just clean as you normally would and you'll be fine. Even with primary fermentation in a plastic bucket, I think you would be okay as long as you wash everything well afterwards.

Be sure to keep your vodka tincture so you can adjust the heat when you're ready to bottle. I think I added a couple ounces of the tincture to my 5 gallon batch when I kegged, but it all depends on how hot your peppers are.

Keep us posted on how this turns out for you! BTW, it's also a great beer without the peppers. I've made it both with and without - makes for two great options to have on tap!

Assuming you made this already...throw the peppers on in. I didn't have any issue with the seeds in the boil.

If you secondary the peppers in glass, you won't need to do anything special as far as cleaning. Just clean as you normally would and you'll be fine. Even with primary fermentation in a plastic bucket, I think you would be okay as long as you wash everything well afterwards.

Be sure to keep your vodka tincture so you can adjust the heat when you're ready to bottle. I think I added a couple ounces of the tincture to my 5 gallon batch when I kegged, but it all depends on how hot your peppers are.

Keep us posted on how this turns out for you! BTW, it's also a great beer without the peppers. I've made it both with and without - makes for two great options to have on tap!

Thanks for the advice :mug:

I did indeed throw the whole peppers in and the seeds didn't cause a problem.
I got an OG of 1.060 though so hopefully that wont throw the balance off.
I'm going to put 3 extra soaked peppers in on Saturday or Sunday so I'll see how it's tasting then.

Thanks for the advice :mug:

I did indeed throw the whole peppers in and the seeds didn't cause a problem.
I got an OG of 1.060 though so hopefully that wont throw the balance off.
I'm going to put 3 extra soaked peppers in on Saturday or Sunday so I'll see how it's tasting then.

So I tested the beer today and after a week it's down to 1.013 from 1.060. Tastes very hot but still drinkable so I added 3 peppers.
I kept the vodka and plan on bottling it in a week. I will see then if I need to add any vodka or not. :ban:

So I tested the beer today and after a week it's down to 1.013 from 1.060. Tastes very hot but still drinkable so I added 3 peppers.
I kept the vodka and plan on bottling it a week. I will see then if I need to add any vodka or not. :ban:

So it finished at 1.008, a 6.8% Cream Ale :drunk:

I bottled it a week ago and added about 1/3 of the vodka too.
Drinking a bottle now and it's nice and hot but not too hot.

Still needs to carb up a bit more so will check it again later in the week.

BTW when does this beer usually reach it's peak?

So it finished at 1.008, a 6.8% Cream Ale :drunk:

I bottled it a week ago and added about 1/3 of the vodka too.
Drinking a bottle now and it's nice and hot but not too hot.

Still needs to carb up a bit more so will check it again later in the week.

BTW when does this beer usually reach it's peak?

Brewing this Saturday. Have you got any helpful input?
I had intended to stick to the original recipe, corrected for my efficiency, and add 7 roasted, soaked peppers at 15 min and 5 or 6 roasted and soaked at 2 weeks.
Thank you

I entered mine into a brewfest, and i had a line of people all night tasting and enjoying this beer.
As a first timer in a competition, i had several other experienced brewers asking for beer to take home.

Brewing this in the morning.
Roasting 6 big, but not that hot, peppers now.
Might have to see if wifey's grandpa has some of his 8th generation hotter than sh*t jalapeños for the dry hop.

image.jpg

Got a beer kit just to make this! Only made 1 batch so far and it turned out good. was brewers best american light beer kit. Im going to try and use the brewers best cream ale kit. Can anyone give me detailed info on what to do? can pm me or email [email protected] thanks all!

Brewed this yesterday. I tasted a sample when transferring to my primary and didn't notice any pepper bite or flavor. The kettle did smell a little like jalapenos. Anyone else experience this? Will the pepper flavor/bite come through when the gravity drops? I followed the recipe exactly with 4 Jalapenos at 15mins.

Slit, rinse & roast Jalapenos 20-30 minutes at 350F, slice and soak in Vodka overnight. Add 4 Jalapenos at 15 mins.

Brewed this yesterday. I tasted a sample when transferring to my primary and didn't notice any pepper bite or flavor. The kettle did smell a little like jalapenos. Anyone else experience this? Will the pepper flavor/bite come through when the gravity drops? I followed the recipe exactly with 4 Jalapenos at 15mins.

Slit, rinse & roast Jalapenos 20-30 minutes at 350F, slice and soak in Vodka overnight. Add 4 Jalapenos at 15 mins.

Don't forget to dry pepper after fermentation you will have more flavor and aroma. I like to grill mine instead of roasting, more flavor. I've never soaked mine in vodka because you boil them and add them after fermentation. You can also take a small bite of the pepper before roasting to see how hot it is and adjust. I've scored well in beer comps and I really enjoy this beer.

Just brewed this recipe today. 2.5 gallon all grain batch. I followed the recipe exactly as the op. I cleaned the seeds out of the peppers prior to the boil. Wasn’t sure if that was right or not? My question is; should I clean the seeds out prior to secondary? I know they may contain some heat, not sure about flavor. Thanks in advance. The hydrometer sample was tasty. Pepper flavor was in the background post boil.

I usually leave about 1/2 the seeds, depending on how hot the raw peppers are. Jalapeños are very inconsistent on heat IMO

Thinking to use some of my jalopenos and make this recipe, but I really don't think the vodka is necessary. I do like the idea of roasting though, so I may follow that, but I think I will simply just spray/dip them in star-san, and cut them up and let 'em rip.

After a 4 year hiatus......................... I'm brewing this again. (Knee Surgery) This will be my 3rd brew. The wife even requested it.

Back