Yeast Pitching in Stages

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seeves1982

Reaction score
Hi recently realized I pitched 1/3 the yeast I was supposed to. I'm in secondary fermentation stage. I was thinking of throwing the beer back in the primary then pitching the other 2 thirds and going 1 week primary and another 2 weeks secondary. Is this a good idea or not?

Thanks,
Mike

How has fermentation been going? If it going strong right now, there is no point in adding more of the same yeast.

is it underattenuated/what was you SG and what is the gravity now? what yeast was it.
by underpitching the yeast had to grow more, and if you get too much growth you can get some off flavors and won't have the most healthy yeast.
All in though, pitching yeast in stages doesn't really work, unless its a higher attenuating one after a lower attenuating one to try and bring the FG down. they yeast reproduce to a concentration needed to consume the sugars in the solution they are in. less original yeast means more growth, and the potential off flavors, sluggish fermentation, and potentially higher FG.

Back