Stupid yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bull8042

I like 'em shaved
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OK, this may not be such a stupid question, but my mother calls me this morning and said, "since you brew your own, do you know where I can get some brewer's yeast"? Of course, what type and how much?
Well, she proceeded to tell me she wants some to put around her roses to help them bloom or something. Needless to say, I don't think 11g sachets of Notty will suit her needs. There must be some sort of "generic" brewer's yeast that one could buy in quantity. Anyone know where to find this stuff?

Not too sure about that. It definately wouldn't be cost effective for her to buy vials or smack packs. Maybe find a local brewery who would be willing to give her some slurry?

Health food stores usually carry Brewer's yeast.

It's not the same as the yeast we brew with.

Bone meal is much better for roses. Brewer's yeast doesn't have the phosphorus levels bone meal provides.

Great, thanks for the pointers. I guess it wasn't such a stupid question after all.
I will mention the bone meal suggestion too. Thanks folks.

It depends on temperature. At lower temperatures, the flavor is very clean. As temperatures rise, you get more esters and floral notes.

;)

I don't think I could even explain it, but it's pretty good. It add's a nut-ish flavor I guess, but there's more to it. I've tried other brands though, and they don't stack up to the Lewis Labs stuff, so I'd say their sales pitch is pretty accurate.

Back