perfect recipe for maris otter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epistrummer

Reaction score
I scored some Maris Otter LME and I would like some pointers from more experienced brewers. I've never used it before and would like to do a recipe that will showcase the maris otter flavor and be an english style beer. Lastly, it should be a delicious beer.

Anyone have recommendations?

It works with anything really. I use Maris Otter in IPA's that I want to have some balanced bready character in them. Mix in a little Munich and Vienna, and roll.

If it has to be English, find an English IPA or Pale. Or a simple easy bitter. Would be easy to do with the extract.

Can you partial mash, or extract only?

That's like asking, "what's the perfect recipe for this high-quality baking chocolate I found." However, per your perimeters an english mild is what you're looking for.

9lbs maris otter (figure out how much lme you need)
10oz dark crystal malt
6oz light crystal malt

1oz challenger hops 60min
1oz fuggles 15min
1oz EKG 5min
dry hop with an oz of whichever you want or all three

wyeast1968 esb yeast.
ferment as normal, keg and wait to clear.

this makes an awesome, easy drinking, simple ESB. nice toasty flavor from the MO.

That's like asking, "what's the perfect recipe for this high-quality baking chocolate I found." However, per your perimeters an english mild is what you're looking for.

I'd definitely go Mild, or Bitter of some variety. But that'd be good for just about any English-styled ale (including a good English interpretation of a stout or porter)

9lbs maris otter (figure out how much lme you need)
10oz dark crystal malt
6oz light crystal malt

1oz challenger hops 60min
1oz fuggles 15min
1oz EKG 5min
dry hop with an oz of whichever you want or all three

wyeast1968 esb yeast.
ferment as normal, keg and wait to clear.

this makes an awesome, easy drinking, simple ESB. nice toasty flavor from the MO.

I'm going to give your recipe a try. I'll try to remember to post a review of the final product. Thanks!

Or an english barleywine. I just made one with 22lbs of MO grain, 1 lb of Crystal 60.

If your goal is to taste the quality of MO, then your best bet was mentioned above: english mild. An english barleywine has so much malt to it that you're getting a condensed flavor, and anything with dark malts or lots of hops will have flavors that make detecting the MO more difficult, unless you've got a really good palate.

Ok so here is what I ended up doing-

8 lb Maris otter LME

1 oz Magnum 60m
.5 oz Kent Golding 15m
.5 oz Kent Golding 5m
.5 oz Kent Golding dry hop 7 days(my first dry hopping experience, actually)

Danstar Nottingham yeast fermented at 66 degrees

1 week primary, 2 weeks secondary. bottled and priming now. I have sampled the goods and although it hasn't carbonated, it is pretty tasty and I really like the smooth bitter quality I'm getting from Magnum. This is the first time I've used magnum and I think I'm going to be using it a lot more.

Thread update-

I will have to say that using 8 lb of Maris Otter extract with no crystal in it is leaving something to be desired. This is a pretty strong, malty beer that could use some sweetness to add complexity. I like the hop schedule though. I will probably do one of the other suggested recipes in this thread next time.

Back