Brewing now, Quick question about hops.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Col224

Reaction score
I'm following a kit and it calls for .75 oz of warrior 15.4% hops. However, they sent me a full oz(prob due to prepackaged quantity).

I was thinking of just adding the full oz. Bad idea? or good idea? or doesn't matter? I just don't really see myself using it up in the near future.

Depends on how hoppy you like your beer... If you like your beer extra hoppy then do it. A 1/4 oz might not sound like a lot, but I would guess that it might make quite a difference.

Do what ^ said and eyeball it. Its hard to gauge what effect it will have without knowing your recipe and whether its a partial boil or full boil.

I'd just toss in the whole ounce, but Warrior is one ofmy favorite hops and I'm a *bit* of a hop head. It all depends on what style you're brewing and hope much you like hop bitterness.

Years ago I tried to "adjust" the recipe to my liking and the (15gal) batch was AWFUL! I learned from that that small changes make a big difference. When thinking about changing the recipe think of how much changes affect a baking recipe. Brew recipes, in my experience are much more like baking than stir-fry.

I'd eyeball 2/3 of the packet unless you REALLY like hops.

BoB

Yeah... I'd hit the whole thing....

One question though... Pellet, or whole?

To me, pellet seems to have little more impact than whole.

its a partial boil(2.5 gallons) and pellets. I only put the 3/4 oz in because there is also an oz of amarillo and 2 oz of cascade in this kit as well so I didn't want it to be TOO hoppy. Though, it sounds like Yooper may say theres no such thing.

its a partial boil(2.5 gallons) and pellets. I only put the 3/4 oz in because there is also an oz of amarillo and 2 oz of cascade in this kit as well so I didn't want it to be TOO hoppy. Though, it sounds like Yooper may say theres no such thing.

Hehe.... You're concerned about what to do with 1/4 Oz Warrior when you also have an Oz of Am, and 2 Oz of Cas???

In a 5 gallon batch???

That's a LOT of hops...

haha yes it is, the kit is called Hop scare. its an IPA from midwest.

Back