Appreciating the Finer Things

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arneba28

Reaction score
So I have only been really really into beer for about 2 years and only brewing for less then a year. However, I have found that my refined taste for beer has carried over into a general appreciation for all the finer things in cuisine. I first thought of this while reading a recent cheese rant about idiots that work there. Then I though about the amount of money that I just spend on some real nice coffee from Hawaii. Then I thought about the lump of cash that I just paid for a wonderful piece of eye of round (Beef carpaccio tomorrow), and how when I go out to dinner I get whatever I want, just as long as I have never had it..
Everyone on here for the most part has allowed there refined taste for beer to carry over to other aspects of there life, from smoked meats to kayaks, cheeses, coffee, wines etc etc.
It is great to be around people that appreciate well produced everything! Alot different then my roommate, who thinks putting salt on chicken is adding too much seasoning, or the guys at my firehouse who are stubborn enough that they wont even try my beer because "its dark, I dont like dark beers", that was an IPA, maybe a light caramel color lol. In general, its just nice to be around people that are open minded to trying new things and that can appreciate different tastes. You guys rock:rockin:

I agree!

I think that homebrew and making your own stuff in general goes hand in hand with appreciating "nice" stuff, be it food, wine, beer, automobiles or furniture. Unfortunately, it also means that "cheap" stuff often doesn't hold the same charm and isn't incredibly compatible with small budgets.

Yeah my small income doesnt always support my tastes. A trip to the local beer store usually gets my 3-4 22's and a cost of around $50. Half of me envies the beer ignorant, that do not know what wonderful stuff there is out there.

I would generally agree with both of you. Brewing and obtaining an appreciation for great beer has certainly changed the way that I look at some things.

I still hate liquor, wine and wine snobs though. They think they're so much better than us beer snobs. :D

Realizing the sheer variety of beers, bourbons, and coffees I've been able to try (yeah, I love beverages), even on my grad school budget, really points out to me what a privileged spot I am in. I don't feel guilty about it, but it's good to be aware of one's personal perspective, and to appreciate how good one has it.

That said, beer was indeed my first liquid obsession, and the process of becoming a decent brewer has really made me appreciate even more things like whiskey, coffee, cheese, and chocolate that are a somewhat alchemical product of simple ingredients. All of them so transcend their basic ingredients that the nuances and uniqueness of the finished products generally amaze me, all the more so now that I make (good) beer.

I think the capacity to properly enjoy good things is in most of us, it just needs to be awakened. I have found throughout my life I have had defining moments in many aspects of the taste experience. I can easily recall my defining "perfect pint" moment, my "glorious kickass stilton" moment, my coffee moment....The list goes on, but in each and every case it involved tasting something at it's best and experiencing an epithathingy. This is the very reason that most people (Especially in the UK) will grow up drinking elephant piss, then learn by experience that elephant piss is probably not what they will want to be drinking the rest of their lives. One day, they will sample a pint of (Insert your favourite nectar here) And their minds will open, their eyes will see, and they will start falling over more than they used to.

I totally agree with everything mentioned. For me I think food came first though. I started really enjoying trying everything I could at restaurants, and getting quality fresh ingredients to cook with. I started to appreciate beer more, cheese, coffee, etc. Just as you have all mentioned. Now I don't understand how some people can be so close-minded, to not even want to try new or different things, let alone enjoy or appreciate them. It's all good stuff.

"Finer" things...does NOT have to be expensive. The best meal I ever ate was not the most expensive meal,the best wine etc...I have found that once you know how something is supposed to taste-you will spend hours trying to emulate it. Some of the finest cheese I've ever tasted came from a small cheese shop in Paris. Best steak-Brown Derby Las Vegas (gone). Best beer-DFH 120 min IPA. I'm STILL trying to pry the recipe out of them.

"Finer" things...does NOT have to be expensive. .

In total agrrement there! I've just used a home grown onion, and the difference is amazing! Having said that, the best stilton I ever tasted was given to me by a neighbour, and it came from Fortnum and Mason's...Grocers to the Queen (just rest your head on the block luv, you won't feel a thing) It was my "stilton moment" that first made me realise at a young age that maybe winning the lottery could be beneficial to the spiritual well-being of my tastebuds. Ever since that day I have found that although it is possible to find nirvana with just a few pennies, it is a helluva lot easier to find it on the OUTSIDE of a crappy supermarket. :)

My boyfriend's mom and her brother don't seem to appreciate any of that stuff and I don't understand how. She drinks instant coffee because she "can't tell the difference" and he only drinks BMC because it's the only "real beer." Perhaps it's just how they were raised, but I don't understand how you don't notice a perceptible difference in those things. I guess the same thing can be said for people that like their steaks well done.

My boyfriend's mom and her brother don't seem to appreciate any of that stuff and I don't understand how. She drinks instant coffee because she "can't tell the difference" and he only drinks BMC because it's the only "real beer." Perhaps it's just how they were raised, but I don't understand how you don't notice a perceptible difference in those things. I guess the same thing can be said for people that like their steaks well done.

You mentioned BMC. I'm sorry, but I feel compelled to invoke Evan's law and mention piss. Sorry.

Now, back on topic. :)

I didn't become "alive" until I was 30 years old. I had tasted scotch and thought "UGGHHH this is rancid!" Same with red wine, Cigars, Stinky cheeses etc.

I put myself on a real health kick and started to count calories..and here's the funny bit. I didn't want to "waste" my fat intake on things that were not worth it. I started to taste nice cheeses and premium ice creams for what they were.. a FAR superior product. Same with Spirits and wines... "If I am going to have to burn these calories back off, I am going to ENJOY THEM!", became my mantra.

Well, it's 11 years later and my love of the finer things is still there, but not the discipline, so i am overweight again, but still loving the finer things.

We have all heard the saying "Ignorance is Bliss" I have to agree. When I was ignorant to the finer things in life, I was just as happy as I am now, and my wallet was a lot thicker because I was happy with the BMC's in life.

So don't be so hard on the heathens, for they know not what are missing. You won't be doing them a favour by turning them onto the finer things.... They are happy the way they are. ;)

So don't be so hard on the heathens, for they know not what are missing. You won't be doing them a favour by turning them onto the finer things.... They are happy the way they are

so true-

I have friends who buy the preformed 28% fat burgers and load them with 3lbs of seasoning of which 2lbs is salt.
Meanwhile me and the wife are eating a 1/2lb burger with Leo Stubbs Marinade in it covered in Colby Jack. Our burger is a thing of beauty, theirs is a damn crime to beef.

so true-

I have friends who buy the preformed 28% fat burgers and load them with 3lbs of seasoning of which 2lbs is salt.
Meanwhile me and the wife are eating a 1/2lb burder with Leo Stubbs Marinade in it covered in Colby Jack. Our burger is a thing of beauty, theirs is a damn crime to beef.

Ours have a filling of Danish Blue.....I hear ya there! :D

so true-

Meanwhile me and the wife are eating a 1/2lb burger with Leo Stubbs Marinade in it covered in Colby Jack. Our burger is a thing of beauty, theirs is a damn crime to beef.

Yeah, and the sad part is that they love their burgers as much as you love yours. If you tried to feed them a good burger like yours, they would most likely turn up their noses at it.

MORE FOR YOU!

It really is an "awakening". once you notice one thing you will start to notice more. I hated scotch as well, then I "really" tasted scotch and all its differences and subtle taste. I still can one have about 2-3oz before my stomach starts to hurt, buts its an enjoyable 2-3oz. I went out last week to a pub with a few friends, I get it a dozen clams, a pint of smithwicks and a burger with gouda, rare. They get cheese sticks, well burger with american cheese and Coors Light. I try and look back and see if I was that naive a few years ago and I wasnt, but I wasnt far from it either. Ignorance is Bliss.

Back