• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

not mine but I think a good deal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tieflyer

Reaction score
http://www.homebrewing.org/9-Gallon-Brew-Pot-with-2-welds_p_1684.html?AffId=160

Pre- Order is on Again!!!
Order now for delivery by 10/15/11
These will go quickly again
18 Gauge 9 gallon pot with two welded 1/2" female couplings with lid
Use one for a ball valve and one for a thermometer!
Pot measures 13 5/8" x 13 5/8" with the spigot being 1.5" from the bottom to the center of the hole.

The pots are wonderful, the lids are a little cheap-
Hey, we are boiling in them, who needs a stinkin lid anyhow?

I bought one of these a few months ago, and I love it. I got the house brand of thermometer with it for only $14 too, and it is great. Really a good deal.

OKay, so it says this on the page: "As a side note- these are $79 pots- please do not expect a $259 Polarware. Some small dents or nicks are expected."

So here's my question: what is the difference between this and the polarware or other expensive pots (besides the dents/nics)?

And for those who have purchased this, just how bad are these dents and nics they warn about? Are they huge, small? Enough to make one reconsider a purchase?

Thanks! :mug:

I don't think they come dented. What they are saying is they aren't a thick walled pot like the more expensive versions. So, be careful with it or you will get dents.

I don't think they come dented. What they are saying is they aren't a thick walled pot like the more expensive versions. So, be careful with it or you will get dents.

Ohhhh, that makes a lot more sense. I just got through teaching a 3 hour class, so I'm a little brain dead now. :drunk:

So the major difference then (between these and say polarware) is the thickness of the metal?

I mean, for $80, this seems like a hell of a deal. Just to check the price, I added the pot, the generic thermometer, and the ball valve. With shipping it came to ~$122, and every other pot I've seen like these start at like $230, and go up from there...

I might have to jump on this.

Has anyone had any luck using the keg tool and soldering to this pot at all? I need to add a heating element and after my last try with a cheap pot, I am very gun shy.

( I know, I know...I haven't bought this yet!? Kinda broke right now...)

Okay, here's the thing. I probably won't be able to use this for full boils right away (I need a few other things before AG). So I'm wondering, does this work okay for partial boils?

Specifically, how many gallons have to be in the pot for the thermometer to be submerged? I'd hate to be doing 2 gallon boils with the thermometer up at the 3 gallon level. :(

And to the person who said they use this on their electric stove: you get a full boil going on an electric stove?

Thanks for the help everybody. :mug:

Back