Partial boil: Anyone replace evaporated boil water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewzombie

Reaction score
I've just learned that isomerized alpha acids are only soluble to about 100 IBUs. So if you use a partial boil (like I do) with 1/2 final volume, you will only get 50 IBUs after dilution even with maximum hoppage in the boil. This makes an IPA with 75 IBUs out of reach.

I've measured that I can fit about 70% boil water in my kettle and still boil on the stove...so I can get 70 IBUs. But then I figured I would lose a significant volume to evaporation during a 1 hr boil so....

...has anyone tried replacing evaporated boil water to keep the volume up? I could top it up with boiling water periodically during the boil.

I have topped up before, yes, both in AG and partial mash / extract scenarios. But...those are to reach volume targets.

Personally I think your plan of adding water as you go would work, and the best way to do find out is to brew a batch and see if you get the bitterness you're seeking.

If it doesn't, well, there's a good excuse for a turkey fryer and large pot or keggle combo so you can eliminate the problem once and for all.

I have topped up before, yes, both in AG and partial mash / extract scenarios. But...those are to reach volume targets.

Personally I think your plan of adding water as you go would work, and the best way to do find out is to brew a batch and see if you get the bitterness you're seeking.

If it doesn't, well, there's a good excuse for a turkey fryer and large pot or keggle combo so you can eliminate the problem once and for all.

I will eventually. Just living in a smallish apartment at the moment and need to keep my equipment to a minimum.

Back