Best Oktoberfest reciple?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kharz

Reaction score
Hey guys -

Ive got tons of grains on hand (vienna, munich); 7L of Oktoberfest starters and 1 pount of german hops from hopsdirect.com

I was going to use a recipe for an Oktoberfest that I found online, but Ive seen so much variation in different recipes. Can anyone direct me to their favorite one ...?

I am brewing 20 gallosn on Saturday night .... !

Hey guys -

Ive got tons of grains on hand (vienna, munich); 7L of Oktoberfest starters and 1 pount of german hops from hopsdirect.com

I was going to use a recipe for an Oktoberfest that I found online, but Ive seen so much variation in different recipes. Can anyone direct me to their favorite one ...?

I am brewing 20 gallosn on Saturday night .... !

The best? Everybody has their own idea on this. Here's mine: Modern German fest brews are fairly light in color, more of a bumped up Munich Helles. American versions tend to be darker, like old style German brews, but they use too much crystal malt. I like 75% Munich and 25% Pils with an OG in the high 50s, IBUs in the mid 20s with German noble hops derived from one early bittering addition and one at 20 minutes or so to get a touch a flavor and a whisp of hop aroma to support the maltiness. Mash on the low side to get a dry finish (fest beers are malty, not sweet) and use one of the Southern German/Munich/Bock yeasts from Wyeast or White Labs. :mug:

Here is a decent article on brewing Oktoberfest beers. Note the Wyeast tech comments regarding yeast...I used WY2278 in mine (Marzen) but it won't be ready until August or so. I like WY2124 too...used that in my Bock.

Very often it seems my approach is exactly the same as BigEds and this is no exception.:mug: Mostly Munich malt with some Pils malt...you could use some Dark Munich depending on the color you're shooting for. If you do decide to use some Crystal use something like Caramunich and not much.

For yeast, if you want to use a dry strain, you might consider Saflager W34/70 (2 packs per 5 gallons). Good temperature control from the start is very important (for any lager yeast). I agree with SCA and BigEd on the grist.

For whatever it's worth: I co-brewed a Marzen with a friend; he used 2206 and I used 2124. The 2206 batch placed first in the SW Regionals, mine was an also ran with mediocre scores and no flaws. The 2206 beer had more character and the malt came through nicely. The 2124 was pretty neutral tasting. I like 2124 for Helles, but will use 2206 for future O-Fest.

KD

Back