Will astringency go away with age?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCCOLA

Reaction score
Just bottled my 1st simple cider 3gal batch-9qts. cheap apple juice,1lb. honey,1 can concentrated apple juice,40oz. water. S-05 yeast.Fermented 3wks. in primary FG- .998. Bottled w/ 1/2C sugar and 1C splenda.Tasted it and man, will my teeth ever feel the same again?It tasted fine, no off flavors and the sweetness was spot on but it is highly astringent/tannic ( makes your mouth wrinkle up big time):eek:
I've brewed enough beer to know not to freak out on a green tasting but would like to know if this will go away with age.
Also, after it is carbed, should it be aged cold or at room temp. and for how long? Thanks in advance guys.

Perhaps.

I had a batch of cider that was around 14% abv, and it was horribly harsh for the first 3 months after I racked it to the tertiary. It got really good about 6 months in, right when I ran out. That said, mine was not a tannic astringincy, it was more alcohol harshness.

I hope so, the Apfelwein conditioning tasted like kerosene when I kegged it, and I just bottled a 13% mead that had been bulk conditioning for 4 months. That still tasted very astringent. Hopefully in half a year to a year it will be great.

Once fermentation is completed, I do not have any problems conditioning it at room temperature. Just do not let it get too hot.

could you age brew in a fridge?

Just asked 'cause of the drastic change homebrewed beer takes after being carbed and then put in the fridge for 2 or more weeks.Didn't know if cider did the same.Some of my beers are totally different after lagering in the bottles.

Back