My $25 15 gallon fermenter.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a white one with 10 gallons of Saison in it. It is managable with 10 gallon plus plenty of headroom so no blow off is needed. A #5 rubber stopper fits the small opening.

10GallonFermenter.jpg

I thought you had a stainless conical, Ed.

Just doing a little search I found this link http://www.bayteccontainers.com/15gal.html where for a fee they will add a spigot to one of these.

Nevermind I think those spigots are meant to go in one of the existing bungs. So the barrel would have to lay on it's side to use it.

I think according to the picture in that listing, they show a faucet toward the bottom. So it could stand upright. This really is a very economical way to ferment 10 gallon batches.

All these I've ever used are pretty thick. With a proper drill, a few orings, etc you can put any kind of outlet/faucet you like on them.

I couldn't either, I just fermented in it and that took the smell out.:D

DONT use your fermenter if you can't get the smell out!! I just trashed 11 gallons of beer! The hydro samples were very tatsy, but the final results were bad. Beer tasted like the fermenter smelled, not good. I blamed my friend (he tapped his half first) for not cleaning his lines properly. I just sampled my half, and it tasted identical. I will never use that fermenter again.

looks like we have a $45 lesson. Damn thanks for the post. I am going to take the lids off and see if they will air out. I have had them soaking in oxyclean for weeks and nothing, Thay still smell like soda.
again thanks for the post and sorry to hear about your brew gone bad.
Jay

looks like we have a $45 lesson. Damn thanks for the post. I am going to take the lids off and see if they will air out. I have had them soaking in oxyclean for weeks and nothing, Thay still smell like soda.
again thanks for the post and sorry to hear about your brew gone bad.
Jay

The thing is I almost had the smell out, I thought it would be fine. Now today after discovering the taste I re-opened the cleaned out fermenter and the original smell was back, as strong as ever! It must have leeched into the plastic and been drawn out by the fermenting beer (if that makes sense).:(

The thing is I almost had the smell out, I thought it would be fine. Now today after discovering the taste I re-opened the cleaned out fermenter and the original smell was back, as strong as ever! It must have leeched into the plastic and been drawn out by the fermenting beer (if that makes sense).:(
Damn!!! ok well thanks I am not willing to risk a batch of brew on them... looks like they will become a water catch basin or a prechiller or something.
Cheers
JJ

Ok, I was at Park Plastic's this morning at 7:30. Their stuff is food grade, but I don't think there conicals (inductor tanks) are suitable. It is not air tight on top. Open fermemtation any one... And the fittings on the bottom are female pipe thread. Seems to me that would be to likely to catch bacteria and other nasty stuff. If you are interested, they are $122.64 each.

Ok, I was at Park Plastic's this morning at 7:30. Their stuff is food grade, but I don't think there conicals (inductor tanks) are suitable. It is not air tight on top. Open fermemtation any one... And the fittings on the bottom are female pipe thread. Seems to me that would be to likely to catch bacteria and other nasty stuff. If you are interested, they are $122.64 each.

Tonedef131 Here is what I posted.

Yep. That is called "flavor scalping". Polyethylene is the worst of the common food grade plastics. Even if you get a brand new container it will "scalp" flavors from one batch to the next and should not be used.

Reference: Effects of flavour absorption on foods and their packaging materials.

Joe

Yep. That is called "flavor scalping". Polyethylene is the worst of the common food grade plastics. Even if you get a brand new container it will "scalp" flavors from one batch to the next and should not be used.

Reference: Effects of flavour absorption on foods and their packaging materials.

Joe

I found this link for a last ditch effort to salvage the used soda containers.
Food Grade Plastic Containers For Brining - The Virtual Weber Bullet

Does anyone have any alternatives? What type of plastics should we be looking for?

I've seen this 14.25 gallon glass Demi John on a couple websites. Although it's not as cheap a solution, it's roughly the same price as two 6.5 gallon glass carboys.
Glass Demi John Carboy for Home Brew

I would love to move up to ten gallon batches for my favorite HB, but I would like to use a single fermenter. I still like what BayTec is offering if its only going to be used for one style of brew.

EdWort, have you noticed any residual flavors contaminating your different brews when using that white, 15 gallon fermenter? Are you happy with the results you're getting?

-ThePudwhack

I am happy with the first batch that has come out of my 15 gallon barrel. I made up a batch of Centennial Blonde and everyone that has tasted it has had good things to say. I got my barrel from my LHBS store for free and it has worked so well I went back and got another one. I have an Irish red in one now that is ready to be put in the kegs whenever I get around to it.

I am happy with the first batch that has come out of my 15 gallon barrel. I made up a batch of Centennial Blonde and everyone that has tasted it has had good things to say. I got my barrel from my LHBS store for free and it has worked so well I went back and got another one. I have an Irish red in one now that is ready to be put in the kegs whenever I get around to it.

Thanks Truckmann, good to know.

Unfortunately, I don't have the money for a keg fermentor, yet.

dude - i get these things for free at work

IMG_1349.JPG

I've stolen two of them already - maybe i should start selling them??

Picked up one yesterday for $10. Just happened to be in the store when they were switching out drums of DME.

I already read the whole thread once - don't remember ever getting a reply on the food grade bag source...

I actually went without the bags and got a cheap sump pump on ebay to clean the barrels. Sit the pump in a large plastic rubbermaid. on the outlet of the pump I put a 90 elbow with 1" piece of PVC, so that the barrel would just slide over the PVC and drain back into the rubbermaid fill with oxyclean, water and start the pump. 15 min later you have a sparkling clean barrel.

After thinking about the bags, I elected to go this route because I thought the bags would make my beer cloudier. Here's why. The bag is going to have folds where the yeast will settle all the way up the sides. When you rack from a bag, the yeast in the folds is going to fall away and cloud the beer. I of course have no proof this is the case, but I believe the theory to be correct.

-J

Picked up one yesterday for $10. Just happened to be in the store when they were switching out drums of DME.

I already read the whole thread once - don't remember ever getting a reply on the food grade bag source...

I got mine at a restaurant supply store. Restaurants use them to line containers that hold cut veggies and sauces. I worked in a pizza place and they lined a plastic trash can(clean of course)with them and filled it with pizza sauce.

Back