Perfect Fermentation Storm - Nottingham Yeast Cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewFrick

Reaction score
So I had a Hobgoblin clone that I had used Notthingham on finish fermenting today and I racked that over to a secondary as I was bringing my newest batch to a boil. So I decide I am going to slam this new brew into the old bucket and see what all this fuss is about fermenting on a yeast cake. Well fellas lemme tell ya, if you have not done this you need to. I put the beer into the bucket at 6:00, take the family over to my parents house for kabobs, come back at 9:00 and open up the garage door. It looked like the Swamp Thing had grown inside the bucket and was trying to escape! One side of the lid had blown off and the green foam was crawling out, at least a foot tall above the top of the bucket and a big pile of pukish gunk all on the card table it was on. I had an instant hard-on just looking at it, knowing that everything had come together in just the right way to make this event happen in my garage. There were hops everywhere, I had used a total of 7 ounces of Tettnang in it, but only 4 were just thrown in, I used a hop bag on the 3 oz. for bittering. I took of my shirt to clean up since I knew I would have to peel hop foam off my shirt if I didn't, so now I have to peel it off myself instead. I got it all done and had my blowoff tube hooked up and then the blowoff tube stopped all of a sudden and BLAM! Lid blew off again. After two more times popping the lid I think I have it settled into a good rhythm and should be OK overnight, I hope. I am so very glad that I have been fermenting in the garage since it is staying at around 60 this time of year, this would have been a wacko deal inside the house. In conclusion, try a Notthingham yeast cake sometime, make sure you have a big blowoff tube, and make sure you put it somewhere it can't do too much damage. ;)

Strong fermentation. The last beer that I did I used the Nottingham and it works well. Cheers to a good beer and healthy yeasties.:mug:

Back