Using vanilla in a porter???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smarek82

Reaction score
I have a good robust porter recipe I'd like to add vanilla to. My neighbor bakes and offered vanilla pods without the black specks. Questions would be: can I just use the spent pod? How much? And what part of the process do I add it? I brew AG if that makes a difference.

Thanks

When I used vanilla pods I just cut and split them and covered them with vodka just enough to submerge them. Then added that to either the fermenter after primary fermentation was over or to bottling bucket. Did it both ways with food results. I know you said they didn't have the specks in the center but I think you'd still get some flavoring from them. I used 5 pods for 5 gallons with good results.

The stripped pod should still be useful as long as it hasn't been baked or already extracted with alcohol already. That said, it will have a much lower amount of vanilla than a regular split bean. You may have to experiment to get the level you're looking for. Free is free!

The most recent van porter I had was breckenridge and really wanna get the same intense vanilla character. I guess I'll have to see how much she actually uses and hopefully it is 5 as you suggested. Yes free is very good.

Latest posts

Back