Left in primary too long, how long in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrownAle4Me

Reaction score
Hey all!

I just racked my second brew ever to secondary tonight. Man did it taste good too! I couldn't stop drinking the sample I took. Can't wait for it all to be done.

Anyways, my whole schedule got screwed up this week. I had to wait for some bottles to come in to bottle my first batch in the secondary. So that pushed my whole thing back a week. So this batch has been in the primary for 2 weeks instead of 1. I'm curious if I should leave it in the secondary for the normal 2 weeks or pull it out in a week since it had an extra week in primary.

I'd let it sit for another week, then rack it to a bottling bucket and bottle it (or keg it).

Whether or not you need to secondary is pretty much a matter of opinion (I don't believe anyone has done any true scientific research to the effects of secondary fermentation in a homebrew setting).

If you want to secondary it, go ahead an do it and leave it in secondary as long as you normally would.

That extra week will not harm your beer at all. If you have enough patience, rack it to the secondary and leave it in there for 2 weeks like you normally would. That extra week of fermentation can't hurt anything!
:rockin:

The 1-2-3 rule specifies suggested MINIMUM times in the fermenter: 1 week in the primary, 2 weeks in the secondary, 3 weeks in the bottle. However, for most beer styles you can safely double or triple these lengths of time, often to the benefit of the beer. So don't worry about leaving the beer in the primary for an extra week or two.

I have a presurized plastic secondary fermenter, with an inlet for gas, and a tap outlet for drawing a pint. I have left one or two ales in these for 6 months, and theyre really crispy ales. My first one was a ginger ale. ( i used a light ale kit) and added ground and chopped ginger in the first fermentation bucket and left it for 7 days. Syphoned it off into a the pressure barrel and added more sugar and just left it to to ferment again.
I must say....it was a bostin ale...!!! (Bostin = great...Blackcountry talk)...lol

Yep, no worries. The batch that I recently bottled was in the primary for 5 weeks - the final two weeks were cold conditioning. It's nice & tasty.

Latest posts

Back