Taking buckets from the local Grocery store/bakery?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoboBrewing

Reaction score
I have spoken with some people on here who have had success getting free buckets from the local bakery. I have gotten several, but am not sure what the best way to clean them is? I have only cleaned with water thus far, but they still smell strongly of icing. How would you recommend cleaning them? Thanks.

Have you tried soaking them with Oxiclean (or one of it's generic variants)? I've had great success removing all manner of grime from bottles with it. I have no idea if this will get rid of the icing smell.

Have you tried soaking them with Oxiclean (or one of it's generic variants)? I've had great success removing all manner of grime from bottles with it. I have no idea if this will get rid of the icing smell.

Like I said I really haven't really done anything because I wanted to know what would work well. I think I will do what you suggested. Thanks!

I usually just soak mine with oxiclean, as was already suggested. Sometimes to be extra sure, I like to dedicate these buckets for delabling bottles, since they get a few more good soaks with oxiclean that way.

I usually just soak mine with oxiclean, as was already suggested. Sometimes to be extra sure, I like to dedicate these buckets for delabling bottles, since they get a few more good soaks with oxiclean that way.

Thanks for the idea :)

I'm not concerned with the smell of icing in mine. I figure they are clean. And they will smell like hoppy beer once I've used them a few times!

I have gotten them, a good bath with oxyclean then some starsan and all us good.

Okay so after oxyclean bath and rinsing with starsan I will be fine? Shouldn't I run some extra water through after the oxyclean to ensure it all leaves?

Remember,use really hot water with the oxi.It works alot better.
I get mine at the dollar store for about 4 bucks.

I have buckets that I got from a bakery that I've fermented in that STILL smell like icing a year later. No big deal. Soak them with oxiclean, then rinse them very well with hot water, then use starsan to sanitize. No worries.

One thing I will say.. if you ferment in used bakery buckets, make sure they aren't scratched up inside. The scratches can provide a place for bacteria to live..

+1 to no scratches. Also PBW is great at removing those smells and any residues you may not be able to detect with your eyes.

Latest posts

Back