HERMS System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theologia14

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am looking to design a HERMS system and need some advice. I will probably piece meal the thing together over the next few months but I want to build a very effective system without breaking the bank. I have one 15 gallon brew pot and a mlt converted Rubbermaid 10 gal. I also have a pump that I bought off a guy recently who was upgrading a RIMS system. So what do I new and where do I go from here?

Thanks

I have brewed with a buddy on his system but he has since moved. He has given me some advice but it looks like he has a different approach than I would like to take. He has the privilege of living in a much warmer state i am in the frozen north.

Here's what I have figured out so far. My hlt will be a 15 gal convert with ball valve and thermo. If possible I would like to keep a mlt either as a cooler or a insulated 15 gal converted pot. And finally my current brew pot as a boil kettle 15 gal convert.

I need advice on a way to build a rack for outside burners and where to find a control unit. I have my eye on a second pump as well. Again right now it's a piece meal project one piece at a time. I could also use some more info on how to install burners and the heat exchange. I have seen some threads but they seem to conflict at times. Probably more based on preference than not.

You would use a pump to recirculate the mash through the coil in the HLT.

You could use another pump to circulate the water in the HLT itself, to prevent stratification (though I'm not sure if this is necessary).

I think the only thing you are missing is the control unit for the gas. I am doing electric and so I don't have any info for you, other than I think you are one the right track.

Back