Houston we have a problem!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChefyTim

SudsChef
Reaction score
Well, I did my first mini-mash this weekend.

Everything seemed to go well. The OG was right on according to the recipe.

However, 13 hours later nothing is happening. I used a liquid yeast for the first time. White Labs.

I am thinking I will have to repitch. However, I don't have any available and was wondering how long I could go without repitching. The brew is in the primary and should be properly sealed for fermentation.

I am hoping to pick some up on Monday and pitch it on Wednesday. Anyone see a problem with doing this?

Thanks

Unless you made a starter, it will take 48-72 hours to start. If it isn't going by Monday, repitch.

On my last batch, my yeast wasn't fermenting after about 36 hours or so. I pitched some dry that I picked up and it took off.

When I got ready to brew, the yeast just didn't look right, so I delayed brewing for a couple of days until I was able to get backup yeast. Because of that experience, I made a starter for the batch that I'm doing today.

Liquid yeast is SLOW in my experience last batch took 3 days to start the starter

Thanks for the posts gents.

I did not make a starter and have never used a liquid yeast before. I was just going by what it said on the bottle. Says should begin 5-15 hours so I got worried the yeast was dead as it wasn't shipped with a cooler pack.

Cheers

White Labs is great yeast 13 hours isn't long without a starter, I pitched 3 vials of 3 week outdated yeast and it still took about 12 hours, I doubt you'll have better luck with wyeast without a starter! (my LHBS is awesome, he gave me about 12 vials of white labs that were outdated by a few weeks)

woosterhoot said:
get wyeast activator smack packs

+1

Used one for the first time a week ago. Smacked it, pitched it....3 hours later there were bubbles.

-Jbot

Starting looking towards O2 to help you out. Now that I use a stir plate and O2 my wort my lag times are 3-5 hours.

Back