Which bottles are best and old grolsch bottle surprise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finlayj

Reaction score
Just got a brewer's best deluxe kit for christmas from a very good girlfriend.

She got me 12 22oz bombers with it, but obviously I need more.

Question is are there any particular company's bottles better than others? I know to stick to brown for the most part.

Also, while at my grandparents house for the holidays my grandma gave me 6 grolsch bottles that my mom actually brought back from Belgium in the early 70s.

I'm pretty pumped about having these bottles. They have porcleain caps instead of plastic like a lot of the newer ones. Almost a shame to take off the labels. I know to replace the old rubber gaskets on them, but do I need to worry about bottle strength at all? From what I have found to read, it seems older isn't usually bad but sometimes stronger and of higher quality.

Thoughts?

Hammy71 said:
The Grolsch bottles should be fine. Any brand for bottles will work. Just make sure they are not twist offs.

Of course. Other than the obvious that I can't cap them, I read that they are thinner glass as well. Didn't know that.

Thanks for the input

I do majority of my bottling in Sam Adams bottles, never had one break. I have had a few New Belgium's break while bottling, so i tend not to re-use them.

Mumbly said:
I do majority of my bottling in Sam Adams bottles, never had one break. I have had a few New Belgium's break while bottling, so i tend not to re-use them.

Thats the majority of what im using. Leftovers from a pretty good winter variety case. I have some amstel light from a friend, but they seem on the thin side. Awkward shape too

well, I just bottled my first batch in half New Belgium and half Sam Adams. I just brewed my second Mr Beer batch, and I wanted to purchase the Grolsch bottles. However now I may consider buying a case of the standard brown bottles.

I like Sierra Nevada, Sam Adams, Boulevard Smokestack, Widmer and Southern Tier since the labels come off easiest in an oxyclean soak.

Never had a problem with New Belgium but I only have about 24 of those.

I like Sierra Nevada, Sam Adams, Boulevard Smokestack, Widmer and Southern Tier since the labels come off easiest in an oxyclean soak.

Never had a problem with New Belgium but I only have about 24 of those.

I thought the sam adams labels sucked. I only soaked them for a couple hours because I wanted to go to bed, so maybe that's why. They also have the sam adams made into the glass.

IMHO Sam Adam's labels come off the easiest with an overnight oxyclean soak. They come completely off and there is almost never any residue left.

I too have had a few New Belgians break. SN, Bells and Upland are what I mostly use now.

finlayj said:
I thought the sam adams labels sucked. I only soaked them for a couple hours because I wanted to go to bed, so maybe that's why. They also have the sam adams made into the glass.

Since they are molded into the glass, those are the ones that go where I don't think they will return.

And I let mine soak all night from Friday night to Saturday morning.

Don't buy bottles. Go around on trash day and look in the recycling bin you'll get all you want/need in no time. If this does not appeal to you then you can make friends with a restaurant/bar owner (or bartender). Just ask them to save a night's bottles for you. This should be enough for a long time. Another option is to have a BYOB party and collect the good bottles at the end of the night (or offer to help a friend cleanup the next day after a party at their house).

And finally, you can buy a case of beer and drink it, then save the bottles.
:mug:

garnede said:
Don't buy bottles. Go around on trash day and look in the recycling bin you'll get all you want/need in no time.

And finally, you can buy a case of beer and drink it, then save the bottles.
:mug:

Not in Michigan, you won't find bottles in recycling - each one is worth a dime!

I highly suggest buying your bottles full and emptying them yourself.

I got a ton of bottles from the troegs beer tasting, as well my friend works at a local bar that has a huge beer cave and import section...got a lot of bottles from him.

Met another brewer at the beer tasting who is giving me two cases of clear bottles...perfect for cider!

will be bottling my first batch this week. I have a variety of bottles. some I emptied my self and others I bought. my san adams labels came off after about a ten minute soak in hot water. then removed the residue with a sponge. did not use any soaps or cleaners.

I've had numerous Bass Ale bottles break when trying to cap them. They have a slightly thicker collar that doesn't fit well with my wing capper. I avoid those now.

I've had numerous Bass Ale bottles break when trying to cap them. They have a slightly thicker collar that doesn't fit well with my wing capper. I avoid those now.

Amstel light has a similar thicker collar. I was able to cap one as a test, but don't trust them.

From what I've read on here, people have had the same issues.

anyone ever bottle into a 64oz. growler, using the twist top?

Growlers are not pressure vessels, so if you want carbonated beer then I would not suggest it. The only way to do it is carb it in a keg and then fill the growler for no more than a day or two.

garnede said:
Growlers are not pressure vessels, so if you want carbonated beer then I would not suggest it. The only way to do it is carb it in a keg and then fill the growler for no more than a day or two.

+1

There are several threads here that detail why carbonating in a growler is a bad idea. In short, the process of carbonating beer creates a lot of pressure (not holding carbonated beer, but holding beer that is carbonating), and the growlers cannot handle it like normal beer bottles can. Some people have had success, but if you try it, know you are creating potential bottle bombs.

I have a pretty big supply of Dos Equis bottles, and I also like the 16oz bottles that most of your german beers come in. I also found in my dads garage a stash of old Miller Lite Returnables in the original waxed cardboard case.

Airplanedoc said:
I have a pretty big supply of Dos Equis bottles, and I also like the 16oz bottles that most of your german beers come in. I also found in my dads garage a stash of old Miller Lite Returnables in the original waxed cardboard case.

Nice find!

anyone ever use "red stripe" bottles? a friend donated a six pack of empties. I tried capping one and seemed to work fine. just curious.

Latest posts

Back