Pumpkin Ales make bottle bombs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bishop916

Reaction score
So I brewed my pumpkin ale here:

http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/recipe/f4be1a5c/bishops-homebrewery-bishops-great-pumpkin

I let it sit a couple weeks extra in secondary before I bottled it on the 25th. It was a long ferment. I just sampled one last night after 24 hours in the fridge and it was very fizzy - almost all head in the pour. Do I have a bottle bomb situation on my hands? I have been handing these out; do I need to advise people to refridgerate?

Thanks in advance!

Only way this could happen especially since you had it for a couple weeks extra in the secondary, would be too much priming sugar or any late additions of sugar after primary fermentation.

It is possible the yeast stalled and woke back up during bottling, but I highly doubt it.

I brewed a "cream O' 4 squash recipe" recently, with whole spaghetti, accorn, butternut, and pumpkin. I roasted half and took the other half and boiled it till tender before mashing. Got the idea from Hair of the dog Brewer when he does the Greg. He explains that way the grains help break down the starches to sugars the yeast will consume. Came out great with no bottle bombs.

I think that one swirled when i poured it, - i popped a 22oz tonight with a just-right head on it. I think I'll be alright haha - thanks for the response.

General rule of thumb is 3 weeks to carb correctly. It could be done in as little as 2.

If you bottled on the 25th then add two to three weeks to fully carb and stabilize, it would mean they would be ready around the 8th-15th.

I don't think you have a problem on your hands, just probably some inconsistent carbonation that should settle down over the next week or two as the process finishes.

Back