Filtering Out the Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smyrnaquince

Reaction score
Rather than use a hop bag, I was considering just putting the hops directly into the brew kettle. After the wort cools, I would then put a 5-gallon paint strainer bag into the fermentation bucket, pour in the wort, and pull out the bag (which would bring the loose hops out with it).

Do you think this would work? Good idea or bad?

People use this method all the time, but why wouldn't you just rig it up to where the paint strainer is suspended above/in the brew kettle?

I never tried, so I cannot tell you if it works or not, but make sure to boil the bag in order to sanitize it before putting it in your fermenter.

Otherwise, you could use a paint strainer bag for your hops during the boil. This is what I do, and it works great.

I would make sure to sanitize the strainer bag... I would use a stainless steel strainer in my opinion. Have someone hold it and just pour the wort through the strainer into the fermenter (not that it wasnt obvious). Have your mash paddle sterilized incase the strainer begins getting clogged from the trub so you can free it up.

People use this method all the time, but why wouldn't you just rig it up to where the paint strainer is suspended above/in the brew kettle?

I was concerned about melting the bag during the boil. I figured that once the wort had cooled, this wouldn't be an issue.

What temps can the bag and the elastic take?

I never tried, so I cannot tell you if it works or not, but make sure to boil the bag in order to sanitize it before putting it in your fermenter.

Otherwise, you could use a paint strainer bag for your hops during the boil. This is what I do, and it works great.

I thought I'd just put the bag in the fermenter while I was swishing around the Iodophor and sanitize both at the same time.

Back