Irish red variation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puckhead

Reaction score
So I got (Ahs) Irish red kit that is about 15 in fermentation. I also have a spiral of Spanish cedar that was give to me from a commercial brewery. Any one have thoughts on mixing the two. It's just a 5 gallon batch that I would like to split to my 2 3 gallon carboys. What else could I secondary with, I have a couple fruit extracts sitting around as well. Or is this pushing this beer to far?¿

I'm not sure that a red would be the best choice for fruit extracts; the maltiness would tend to overwhelm most fruits. I can see cedar working, but I have absolutely no experience with it, so I couldn't begin to guess how long the beer should sit on it. I'd suggest doing one with the cedar and one just as the kit is designed; that'll give you a good feel for how much character you get from the spiral.

Just enjoy the red for what it is. It can stand alone quite well.

If I were to use cedar, I would think along the lines of an IPA or pale ale. Fruits for small beers like Blonde ale.

I have never used wood either, but I would think twice about Spanish cedar since it is so aromatic.

My 2 cents.

Back