False floor vs Grain bag?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DlALTONE

Reaction score
I see alot of people using false floors to separate mash from wort. Alot of them have so pretty cool homemade rigs. But I wonder why they wouldnt just use a grain bag and keep it in the same pot to make it easier. Are there disadvantages to using a grain bag? Is it not as effective?

No, they work ok. But a grain bag full of wet grain is heavy! And the grains have to be pretty "loose" in the mashtun so you need a huge bag. But there really isn't any intrinsic value in a false bottom vs a bag or a braid. As long as you have a way to separate the grain from the wort (lauter), it doesn't really matter how you get there.

More personal preference... You could do BIAB in a kettle with a false bottom if you wanted to. It would make cleanup easier.

Personally, I've done the BIAB method, and have put it on the sideline in favor of the converted cooled mash tun. I did a batch where we split the mash between a 48qt cooler and a pot with the nylon bag. The bag had to be held back so that the wort would drain out of the valve in the kettle. With the cooler/MT, you don't need to do that.

I've also torn a bag when putting it into a pot that had a thermometer clipped to the side. Luckily, it was two small holes that I was able to get away with on that batch. Just couldn't use the bag anymore. Won't have those issues in the cooler MT...

I do think that if you look at a dozen different brewers hardware/configuration, you'll find just as many unique rigs. I think you'll be hard pressed to find any two identical rigs. You might find similar components, or some parts in common, but overall, they will be different. Just the nature of it all. As long as you're making good brew with your setup, keep doing it. Change/tweak things as you want, adjusting until you're very happy with the results. I'll probably be changing things with mine, at least from time to time, over the next few years. I don't know if it will ever be static for more than a few months... Then again, who knows. :D

You bring up a good point about all the grain not being properly soaked with a small bag.
I am not actually a little worried about that. I am using a Coarse Nylon Boiling bag 8x15 inch bag. What is the most grain I could adequately steep with that?

For my first MIAB (mash in a bag), I used a 59x65 voile panel in my 10 gallon Rubbermaid mash tun. The fabric went all the way to the bottom of the tun and I had a lot of room for the grains and water.

It wasn't a bag but acted as such.

It worked out very well and I am happy with the process. While this was my first attempt, it maybe what I do moving forward.

It is much harder to get clear wort from a bag without the ability to vorlauf. Perhaps the grain bags I own are too course, or my mill is set too fine for them.

It is much harder to get clear wort from a bag without the ability to vorlauf. Perhaps the grain bags I own are too course, or my mill is set too fine for them.

Could be either/both... I didn't have any issue getting clear wort when I was doing BIAB... The grain was milled to .039" and the bag was fine mesh for the entire thing. I have seen some that have a courser mesh on the bottom of the bag. If that's the kind you're using, you might want to get a different bag.

I do see an advantage of knowing more than one method, and having the hardware/equipment to do either/any of them on hand...

Could be either/both... I didn't have any issue getting clear wort when I was doing BIAB... The grain was milled to .039" and the bag was fine mesh for the entire thing. I have seen some that have a courser mesh on the bottom of the bag. If that's the kind you're using, you might want to get a different bag.

I do see an advantage of knowing more than one method, and having the hardware/equipment to do either/any of them on hand...

Thanks for the tip! I find my RIMS system and false bottom to work much better. If only I could use it on the stove for small batches. :D

Thanks for the tip! I find my RIMS system and false bottom to work much better. If only I could use it on the stove for small batches. :D

Well, yeah... Of course it would work better.

I've been thinking that BIAB might be ok for sub 5 gallon batch sizes... Then again, I'd rather just brew up 5 gallon batches. Means there's a better chance of having brew left by the time the next batch is ready for drinking... Which reminds me, I should probably put a few more bottles in the fridge so they can chill down properly...

Pickup a voile panel at Target, Wal-Mart, Lowes, or a fabric store. The voile is a "sheer" curtain. The holes are very tiny. I had a clear wort with the exception of the protien.

Most store bought bags (unless for BIAB specific) are not fine enough.

Back