best brewery you have never heard of

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpastor

Beer, not rocket chemistry
Reaction score
OK, you know what I mean. You drink a bottle of beer that is to you obscure but amazing. Sure, others have heard of it but it is new ground for you. So, what is it.

Fred, Hair of the Dog - Brewtopia gave me a bottle. It was great!

Brown's, in Troy, NY. I've been to 50 breweries/brewpubs, and obviously had tons of craft beer, by far the best oatmeal stout I have ever had.

The oatmeal stout is pretty good, though their whiskey porter is worth looking out for. Superbly balanced and pretty unusual that it's under 6% abv.

"Monks Ale" from a small operation in Pecos, NM. You can only get it in Santa Fe, and Las Vegas.. maybe ABQ.

Pisgah, the Livery, Wedge, and Kuhnhenn are my favorite 'unknowns'. Two are in NC and two are in MI and I don't think any of them are even distributed to their whole state.

I know they are not a small brewery but I had Boulevard's dry stout this past week and It was freakin amazing. I've never seen it at the store, but I hope I do sometime soon.

I had an O'so brewing Night Train (porter) that was fermented with a belgian yeast and it too was great

"Kiss the Lips" IPA, Lake Louie Brewing, Arena WI.

They also make a great Scotch Ale: "Warp Speed"

Driftwood brewing, Victoria, BC, Canada. The Driftwood ale is a heavenly hoppy pale, the bitter is excellent and the belgians that the make are great. If you see it, buy it.

I would recommend Voodoo. From their Pils to oak aged imperial stouts, it's excellent.

My Garage. IPA is always fresh, but the brewer is sort of a dick.

Seriously though, Devil's Canyon. You can only get their stuff on tap in the bay area, but they did post a picture of pallets full of their Scotch Ale in bottles.

MBasile said:
My Garage. IPA is always fresh, but the brewer is sort of a dick.

Seriously though, Devil's Canyon. You can only get their stuff on tap in the bay area, but they did post a picture of pallets full of their Scotch Ale in bottles.

Thats like East End here. You can only get it on tap in Pittsburgh. They have bombers of their big beers but you can only get them at the brewery.

Back