How's this reciepe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egoods

Reaction score
Not my first time making cider, but nearly. So here's a few questions I have yet to get a clear answer on. I bought 5 gallons of fresh pressed cider (3 Fuji 2 Granny Smith) from my homebrew store. My plan is to add a pound of brown sugar to the mix, then toss in my champagne yeast. Let it ferment in the primary for a month, then move it to my carboy and let it age 5-8months. Bottle carb it in champagne bottles after that and call it a day (well... closer to a year at this point but I digress). Any suggestions? Thoughts? Problems?

If you like it very dry, this will work. If you want any residual sweetness, read the sticky. Sounds like you have a decent juice mix, it would be a shame to ferment out all the natural apple taste.

Are you looking for something more like wine, or more like cider? for wine, stay with the champagne yeast, but if you want it less booze tasting, go for an ale yeast, notty or s-04 both work awesome.

I'm definitely leaning more toward a wine with this batch. Just because I get a really really bad hangover with the sweet stuff. My roommate likes it but I'm just not a big fan, the home brew store is getting in more fresh cider later this month and I think I'll go Ale yeast with that.

Back